Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Bethlehem
Hi everyone,
My Mom has signs of upper motor neuron and lower motor neuron involvement. She began with symptoms in 2001. Falls, broken bones, unable to climb stairs is how it started. She is now in a wheelchair barely able to walk with assistance. She dislocated her shoulder during one of her falls and lost use of her left arm. The nerves never reconnected afterward as we were told they would. Then her left fingers began to contract. She can lift her arm, but other than that she has lost all use. She is now showing signs of bulbar symptoms, difficulty forming words. Her neurologist is sending her to the ALS clinic due to an EMG showing chronic denervation. She has had positive signs for upper motor neuron invovement (Babinski's, clonus) However still no diagnosed. Neuro says she is not sure ALS because progression is so slow. Has anyone progressed slowly?
Thanks
Andie13

Ji Yes my progression was very very slow. I started in 1999 with slurred speech which took 5 years to progress to my arms and now in my hands It took 5 years for a Dx The doctors done said that word until they rule everything else out. My mri blood test emg were all neg the first five years because I show no weaknes anywhere I remained active work many hours and when to the gym, So it is a long process. Sorry for your saddness and grief Pat

Thanks so much for your reply. This is such a frightening thing. I am sorry that you speak from experience. Take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back