Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
UK
State
Kent
City
Longfield
My Father-in-law was newly diagnosed in July '09 with Agressive PBP His condition has rapidly deteriorated over the last few weeks, he was fitted with the peg on 31st July after massive weight loss, he has almost lost complete use of his limbs but has had diarrhea since being fitted with the peg, his GP says it is not a symptom, but told us to stop his feed, we have done this for the last 48 hours but the condition has not improved, he is getting very weak but is needing the comode nearly every hour, he is 77. Has anyone else experienced this problem? We would be very grateful for any advice as this is all new to us.:confused:

I say treat the diarrhea as just that.

We used strawberry extract on the kids , so I imagine it would not be too harsh on him.

Once under control , try some liquids like pedialite to get his system back to seeing something in his tummy. Then work into the thicker formulas.

Glen

I say treat the diarrhea as just that.

We used strawberry extract on the kids , so I imagine it would not be too harsh on him.

Once under control , try some liquids like pedialite to get his system back to seeing something in his tummy. Then work into the thicker formulas.

Glen

Thanks Glen for your reply. As we are from Uk, we are not familiar with strawberry extract or pedialite, but have been told by the dietician to try Osmolite liquid feed direct into his tube, our concern is that anything that we give him will make the problem continue because it is actually a sympton of PBP.

I think a quick ring to your pharmacy would clear that up.

Strawberry Extract is for diarrhea , they should know of it.

Pedialite , here is what we give to young kids when they are really sick and face dehydration. It full of essential minerals to help keep the fluids in you. Its like a thick water.

Hope this helps
Glen

I have never heard of diarrhea (or any other digestive problem) being a symptom of bulbar issues. Sounds to me (I am no doctor) like it is connected with the PEG.

I second Glen... check with the pharmacy about something to stop the diarrhea and contact the doctor again. Your father must be getting terribly dehydrated. In the US there is an OTC med called Imodium that usually stops diarrhea cold, but check with a professional before giving him anything.

A trip to the emergency room might be your best bet. They can at least administer fluids and figure out what's going on. It's NOT a bulbar symptom.

Osmolite is the adult version of pedialyte; it is essentially water with electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride, etc.). Should be available in your pharmacy.

I agree you should get that diarrhea stopped ASAP! I would check with your MD; One month of diarrhea!?! That is entirely too long- no matter what is causing it!

A hospitalization may be in order to at least get IV fluids, as Beth said.
But, we're not docs; and don't know how it works for you there.

Good luck!

I agree with Beth , I think it's due to the peg . It's very common to get the squits when first fed by peg until the tummy gets used to it and the correct feeds and speed of administration are perfected. Certainly if he is being given his feeds too quickly he qill have the runs . Does he have any fibre feeds btw ? xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back