09/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ajax
Hello,

My mom was diagnosed with ALS in Oct 2008. It has spread through her lower limbs pretty quickly and I believe the bulbar onset is slowly taking its course as well. For the past two months, she has been coughing pretty consistently. She did catch a cold couple of months back and was coughing for a while, but it had gone away for a week or two before it came back again. I took her to the ALS clinic yesterday for her regular appointment in Toronto and the Respitology Doctor just told her to take Robitussin MD.

Was regular coughing over a long period also experienced by any other PALS? Were there any remedies available to make the coughing subside?

Thanks,

Sohail

Are you talking about coughing up congestion, or a dry cough? I will answer to both.

ALS is often associated with morning congestion that causes a loose cough, and the need to blow the nose many times. This goes on for an hour or so each morning, for my husband, the PALS. This is different than the excess saliva that bulbar ALS patients have.

Also, if you tell him a good joke, be often laughs hard and ends up coughing at the end. This is different than the choking on food or drink that some PALS have. There is a spasm of sorts that goes on in the throat area.

I went through a long period of post nasal drip kind of cough. My GP finally gave me a 10 day round of antibiotics and The cough's been gone since the fall. I'm not clearing my throat all the time now either.

AL.

Thanks for your helpful input. She has a dry cough that usually goes on throughout the day. Maybe I'll ask her Doctor to prescribe some Anti-biotics.

Cheers,

Sohail

I think it is best to check this out with the gp, as the only time I have had that sort of cough is when I have had a slight chest infection due to small amounts of liquid going down the wrong way. It should be very easily sorted out with antibiotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back