Is a room addition a tax deduction under medical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhettinger

Distinguished member
Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
It's not that simple. If you add a room, you can deduct things that are medically necessary such as widened doors, roll-in showers, track lifts, etc. but only to the extent that the cost of these exceed the increase in value to your home after the additions. One solid example is a ramp should be 100% deductible. There are many gray areas also such as an elevator. Also remember that medical deductions are limited to amounts that exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income. Just keep all your receipts and make sure you keep track of gas mileage to and from medical appointments as well as hotel stays for medical treatment. It really adds up.

Since this question is under the veteran's section, I am assuming that the VA is making the modifications for you. If so, you cannot deduct any portion that the VA paid for. The VA should also be paying your mileage to and from medical appointments.

Since this question is under the veteran's section, I am assuming that the VA is making the modifications for you. If so, you cannot deduct any portion that the VA paid for. The VA should also be paying your mileage to and from medical appointments.
Thanks, do you have a reference number that i can look up?

If you are looking for a reference on travel, see the attached VA form. I am uploading the fillable version.

If it is about the room addition, I would look to a tax professional for a complete understanding and references to the applicable IRS code.

Attachments

• vha-10-3542-fill.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 441
Thanks, Kim. My husband worked at one point for the VA Dept of Taxation, so he handled all the tax stuff. I knew he'd checked it, but didn't know where off hand. Bottom line, if someone else pays for it you can't deduct it as an expense. Happily, the value is not considered income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back