00/0000
Country
UK
State
CK
City
Cobh
Hello Everyone!
I'm Jason, 39 year old male from Ireland. If it's ok, I'd like to describe my symptoms & ask your advice please. I began with severe finger twitching around September. In the weeks and months that have followed, I've had constant twitching/atrophy between thumb and index finger. The twitching is 24/7. I've dropped some weight also but I'm hoping that's all stress related. My left foot/calf cramps and twitches a lot also. Especially at night. I've had a brain MRI which was normal, bloods showed elevated CK level of 202. I don't seem to have any weakness yet, I'm wondering is the clinical weakness something that happens over time or would you notice it immediately? Thank you for listening to me & I wish you all the very best.

Jason

I see no reason for concern as regards MND. If you were weak, you'd know it. As you will have read in the stickies, ALS is above all a disease of clinical weakness and functional impairment. You have described neither -- very fortunately.

Twitching often responds to attention to stress, hydration, diet [esp. electrolytes], exercise and sleep. The space between the thumb and index finger can be heavily influenced by how/how often you hold your phone, use a gaming console, or any other mobile device.

Best,
Laurie

Hello Laurie,
Thank you for taking the time to read/reply, it means a lot. I'll gladly take your advice on board and keep moving forward. I've a neck and spine MRI today so maybe that gives a few answer's. I hope you have a good week yourself and the rest of the people who are in this group. Best wishes from a cold and wet Ireland 😂

Screenshot_20210120_135654_com.google.android.gm.jpg

This is the result from my MRI yesterday. My doctor has set up a neurologist appointment for me so hopefully I get some answers as to why I'm twitching/losing muscle in my right hand and tricep. Onwards and upwards!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The MRI notes that the problem is most acute at C7/T1, which relates to your hand muscles. C5 is also affected and that's the level of the spine with the nerves that send signals to your bicep. The doctor will likely recommend physio and followup. Keeping a neutral spine while sitting, standing and exercising will also help.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back