Diagnosis
04/2009
Country
US
State
pa
City
lititz
Hi-I am in need of a speaking device and heard something about an iTouch that could help me out...does anyone know anything about this or could you recommend a great speaking device? My loaner Dynavox is very hard to understand and if Im going to purchase one, i want it to be a good one. What do i look for ? Thanks!-Judie

Hi Judie,

I have a Ipod Touch 64Gig model , and have purchased the Prologue2go software.

The Ipod was worth 399$ (I got mine on Visa points) and 189$ for the software.

I am still just playing with it , but it will be my voice of choice later on. You can setup buttons/icons to press or tap with a knuckle which will say what ever you want.

It comes with a lot of pre-programmed buttons already.

Glen

i have IPhone which has Prologue2go software. I paid 199 for phone and 150 for software. I use it all the time. I also bought a case with a speaker that the IPhone plugs into to make the volume louder. Sometimes I just type in my deli order or lunch order and show them if the room is too noisy. I have found everyone to be very helpful while using this. I also have the freedom light computer with software for work and home. My insurance paid most of it and MDA helped. It has really helped at work and at home. Both devices, I type and it speaks. I have no problem with my limbs yet so that is something to consider. I have typed for years so my typing is very quick and good. Keep looking til you find something you are comfortable with.
Nancy

Nancy,

Can you make phone calls using the Prologue2Go ?

Glen

I recently bought an iPod Touch but not for speech. My fingers are getting clumsy and they are large. I find typing on the tiny QUERTY keyboard difficult although I am still OK on a full size keyboard.

Judie, I suspect that since you are a woman and a good typist this would not be a problem for you.

have a mice dat

John,

Play with it a bit. My paws have adapted quite well.

Glen

*I'm writing this for my mom(Judie) as she sits here with me*Here goes..." Thank you all- I have an appt on Thursday at clinic and I'm meeting with the tech guy that day. I'll look into it more. I just got my power chair and this is the last big item i need. I just want to be sure that its the right one...on a somewhat different note, I am thinking a lot these days about what lies ahead and am thinking a lot about a ventilator. My FVC last month was at 26% and I'm going down hill fast, and I know this decision is looming. Can anyone tell me what life is like with a breathing tube? My husband and kids as well as a nurse caretaker take care of me now, but what happens with a vent? This is also something I plan on discussing in depth when we go to clinic this week, but would like to hear real world what its like. Does anyone regret getting one? What is quality of life like? ~Judie"

I have one and my quality of life has improved immensely. Best decision I have ever made.

Read all about my life with one on our website. Go to the content index and look up tracheostomy and ventilator.

If you still have questions please don't hesitate to ask.

LifeWithALS.com

Thanks, Joel. Can you speak now? COuld you speak before you had it in place? Mom is barely audible and am wondering if this is something that will change and she'll be able to speak, or does speech go away completely if it is almost gone before the procedure?

Glen,

Do you use a stylus of some sort to type in messages for the icons? And where have you gotten help on how to use the thing? I figured my husband and the guy across the street are both tech savvy enough to figure this out, but there seems to be a bump in the road and it's up to me now. My husband was wondering if there is a keyboard of regular size that is compatible with the iTouch to make typing those messages in easier. Anyone know?

I could speak before and could speak just fine after. So it depends what your speach is like before, getting a tracheostomy will not make it better or worse.

Now that 1 1/2 years have gone by since getting my trache and vent my talking is getting weaker.

CJ, the IPod touch has bluetooth capability so you can get a cordless bluetooth keyboard for it. Here is a link for a Microsoft one but any Bluetooth one would work.

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Hardware - Bluetooth Wireless Technology

I have Bluetooth on my netbook and can link to my cell phone to exchange photos and I could even use the phone as a modem (expensive but it would work in an emergency). I also have a Bluetooth mouse so no wires and nothing to plug in.

Man, I don't know why it didn't register in our brains about the Bluetooth! Duh-uh! But how do you get the messages you type to correspond with a particular icon? Maybe this is too difficult to explain on the forum. We hope the speech guy at the clinic will be able to help next week.

Thanks for your help Barry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back