Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
Hi all. I'm recently diagnosed with limb-onset ALS. My hands are week, but my voice is still strong, though I am aware I may lose that over time.
I've never been particularly tech-oriented. I currently have a desktop PC which I rarely use, and an iPhone which I use all the time. It is getting harder for me to hold up the iPhone and to type.
So my question is, given the technology I may need to use in the future for communication in the face of ALS, would it be better for me to acquire a laptop or an iPad at this time? I.e., which kind of device works best with the software and gadgets that help PALS with artificial speech, eye-gaze technology, etc? And are we talking Mac or windows? Thanks.

I second the recommendation for a Surface Pro.

Since you are familiar with the iOS and say you are not a techie and don't use your PC much, I would consider an iPad, that you can mount anywhere, runs all the text/speech apps, can be controlled with stylus, mouthstick, touch, ability switches, chin, tongue or head movement, and will be easier to see/read on than your phone, of course. Most people do not end up needing eye gaze, but iOS is working on that, too and Apple has patents for that interface method. I don't think it will be that long.

Since you are familiar with the iOS and say you are not a techie and don't use your PC much, I would consider an iPad, that you can mount anywhere, runs all the text/speech apps, can be controlled with stylus, mouthstick, touch, ability switches, chin, tongue or head movement, and will be easier to see/read on than your phone, of course. Most people do not end up needing eye gaze, but iOS is working on that, too and Apple has patents for that interface method. I don't think it will be that long.

Is -"most people do NOT end up needing eye gaze " a typo?

Nope, not a typo and the limited epidemiology supports that. Most PALS don't end up on eye gaze for a variety of reasons, one being that limb onset is more common than bulbar onset. By the time PALS with limb onset are unable to use an ability switch or head mouse, generally they are not breathing well, which may create fatigue that makes it more difficult to use eye gaze, as well as determine their propensity/ability to go on with things generally. And some PALS never lose their voices.

Of course, better systems have meant that some PALS adopt eye gaze sooner than previously, but the technology can still be difficult to access from both a user and reimbursement standpoint.

Finally, I have to comment that for someone used to iOS who's not using Windows a lot, a Mac with eye gaze, if Karen goes that way, could be easier to pick up than the Surface.

I use Apple I pad mounted to my pwc with a stylus wedged between two hands.
I have limb onset and my hands/ arms / legs/ feet seemed to all go down hill at same time over and rate over the course of last three years.
Hate not being able to do things and my frustration level is through the roof as I continue to try to do little things.
I believe I am considered a " talking head" now. Oh well!
As our friend often said. IIWII
Chally

My wife has bulbar onset, 3 yrs now. We found that an ipad running Predictable to be easy for her to use and is easily transported from place to place. The app is very easy to use but a little pricey. We tried others but this app turned out to be the best for us. All of the apps on her iphone easily transferred to the ipad. We actually purchased an ipad mini to begin with as it would fit in her purse. We also obtained a Tobii eye gaze. She finds it extremely difficult to use. Admittedly the ipad was easy easy easy so she may have waited to late to begin working with the eye gaze. Her head is not stable and focusing enough on the letters is very difficult for her.
The ipad will sits on a lap tray and she uses a fat size stylist. We also have a couple of mounts from The Joy Factory that will attach to her chair, a table or desk. These are well made and light. They are some of the more reasonably priced wheelchair mounts I have found. I do not believe there is an eye gaze attachment for the ipad. If someone has found one, let me know as my wife's ability to use the stylist is fading fast (unfortunately so is she).

iPad mounted with head stylus since I lost arm muscles for last two years.
Transition to eyegaze with Ms Surface now that voice going IMG_1649.jpg

A collective thanks to everyone for your input. I am comfortable with iOS, so I'm thinking of going with an iPad. Good to know it can do almost all the things a PALS might need.
Karen

To preview what's being developed for an iOS device (though I think it's more head movement than eye gaze at this stage), check out Umoove's technology. They have 3 apps on the iOS App Store and one for Android. There is another startup I can't remember right now, that I will post when I do.

I have two iPads so this is good news for me.

I also noticed an ALSA Webinar-- "use your iPad with a switch" -- coming up Sept. 15. I take these with a grain of salt as ALSA tends to hook up w/ pricey things but certainly worth a look.

We had jelly bean switch with the ipad, they work well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back