Diagnosis
08/2020
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Westfield
Hello. My husband can no longer speak. We’re making appointments with Bridging Voice for tutorials for Grid 3 that’s on loan from our local loan cliset. We’re trying out various device options in preparation for applying for Medicare funding for his own device.

In the meantime, has anyone out there had any success with JUST an iPad Pro plus appropriate AAC apps, with no extra eyegaze camera? Thank you.

My husband was able to use his iPad by adjusting some of the accessibility settings. I wish I could help more, but his iPad is locked and I didn't think to get the passcode before he died. :cry:

I also can no longer speak and I use a free text to speak app and find it suitable
Al

I believe the newer camera with the latest iPads serves a lot of needs. I would certainly try that (accessibility settings) before buying more.

Yes, using text to speech apps on the iPad Pro without facial recognition worked well, but once eye gazing is needed, a facial recognition iPad would be best. There are more tools to be used at that point in the accessibility under switch control where you can actually use your eyes or head to operate the iPad. There are instructions on youtube or Apple site. A lot of practicing. It’s not perfect. There are also equipment you can buy that can be added to the iPad such as Skyle. Also apps on iTunes allow for eye tracking. There’s a description in this link: Face Tracking and Eye Gaze for the iPhone and iPad: Access and AAC | ConnSENSE Report

Is medicare available to you? My husband and I just met with the rep from tobii dynavox, which his speech therapist highly recommended. His enthusiasm for using the free text to speech. apps on his iPad has been poor, in part because I can often still understand him. His speech therapist encouraged us to get on with this, as the medicare process may take a month or two and she sees greater speech loss coming. This product will only manage text to speech until his doctor writes the prescription for I-gaze. He liked. it enough to give the go ahead.

Hello,

My husband used a Quha Zono head mouse attached to his glasses and then used Proloquo4text app and the Dialogue AAC app. With help from Team Gleason he banked his voice at Acapela voice and got bought it with a grant from Team Gleason.

I believe both can be used without a banked voice or already recorded messages (for example from mymessagebanking.com)

He also explored Jabberwocky AAC.

He used an iPad Pro mounted on a Levo tablet stand.

Also, if you don't have the passcode for an iPad, it can be put into recovery mode to erase and set up again. It involves connecting it to a Mac or PC. If you have a backup from the iPad on the computer or Cloud - I believe you can then restore it.

Bridging Voice is a very good organization.

Best to you for finding what can work for your loved one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back