Investigational Lou Gehrig’s Disease Treatment Taps Bone-Marrow-Derived Stem Cells

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems interesting to me. I'm just irritated because the study seems to have been conducted in 2009... if the results were so positive, why didn't it had more impact on following research projects in the field of cell transplantation?

Mats

That seems interesting to me. I'm just irritated because the study seems to have been conducted in 2009... if the results were so positive, why didn't it had more impact on following research projects in the field of cell transplantation?

Maybe because it was a small study (13 patients, 10 of whom survived to the end of the study) conducted in Turkey, which is not renowned for being on the leading edge of ALS research. Maybe because the criteria for success in this study is never stated in this abstract and doesn't appear to be an objective measurement of improvement. Most likely, it simply got lost in the shuffle with the great expansion of stem cell research (both embryonic and autologous) that fired up about that time. Why follow up on other people's work when governments and private investors are slinging cash at anyone who had any credibility in the field to fund original (read: patentable) research?

"RESULTS:
During the follow-up of 1 year after stem cell implantation, nine patients became much better compared with their pre-operative status, confirmed by electro neuro myography (ENMG). One patient was stable without any decline or improvement in his status. Three patients died 1.5, 2 and 9 months, respectively, after stem cell therapy as a result of lung infection and myocardial infarction (MI).
DISCUSSION:
These results show that stem cell therapy is a safe, effective and promising treatment for ALS patients."

Took these quotes directly from the abstract. I obviously more then others have a bias and belief in the POTENTIAL in stem cells. That being said the goal of this study like all studies in phase I is to show that the treatment is safe which it appears to be thus far. With the brief and vague explanation in the abstract I am not sure if they included efficacy measurements other then doing another EMG and all they said is that the EMG supported improvement. I would be more interested in reading a peer reviewed published article defining exactly what they are determining as improvement and what the EMG data showed...

As I said I have high hopes in stem cells but this abstract is just that very abstract to make any judgements on efficacy in my opinion...

Thank you tr and Ted for your interpretations about this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back