01/2020
Country
US
State
NC
City
x
Hello

I see a lot of good informative content and kind people on here. Thank you all for that.

June 2019 I was fine. Able to walk around, mow the grass, all the things you are supposed to be able to do at 60 years old.

October 2019 I started feeling weaker in the back and legs. Went to primary care and through orthopedics, PT and finally neurology. A full suite of MRIs, EMGs, blood tests and a spinal tap later and I'm diagnosed with ALS in January 2020. Went to Duke ALS clinic for a second opinion. The thing that convinced the doctors was the high level of fasciculations all over my body.

Now its June 2020 and I can hardly walk and have fallen softly 4 times now. I fear uneven surfaces and turning in a different direction. My upper body is starting to fail too. Communications, breathing and eating are still fine, but I do shake noticeably now.

On the positive side, I am still working full time.

I am not looking forward to being any more dependent on my wonderful wife. This is just so unfair for all of us (and our caregivers)

No questions for now but you may hear from me.

Blair (Raleigh NC)

Sorry to welcome you here, Blair. Requiring physical assistance from loved ones is one of the very hardest things to contemplate. Still, you and your wife will be able to draw on the years behind (apologies to Yeats), to make the most of the years ahead. When you have questions, we'll have answers.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Blair and welcome. Sorry you have to be here. I was dx three days before my 60th birthday.

A sad welcome.

"Hi" Blair... thanks for the intro. Yes, we do hope to hear from you. Take care.

Really sorry to meet you Blair, you will find much support here.

Welcome Blair though we wish we didn't have to welcome you. You'll receive alot of good information and tips from the people here. One thing is for sure protect yourself from falls, use a cane or rollator to insure your balance.

Welcome sir. I am very sorry you're here. These people are brilliant, and caring.

Hi Blair. Sorry for your dx, but glad you found this community. My two cents is to install a sturdy grab bar or two in the shower/bath and consider using a shower seat. (Not a good place to fall.) I got one that is high enough that I can stand fairly easily with the grab bar.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Blair, glad you found us. You will find a helpful group of folks here.

Welcome Blair. This is a great group of people.

Welcome Blair. I hope we can help make this difficult journey a little easier. We are here for you. No more falls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back