01/2020
Country
US
State
NC
City
x
Hello

I see a lot of good informative content and kind people on here. Thank you all for that.

June 2019 I was fine. Able to walk around, mow the grass, all the things you are supposed to be able to do at 60 years old.

October 2019 I started feeling weaker in the back and legs. Went to primary care and through orthopedics, PT and finally neurology. A full suite of MRIs, EMGs, blood tests and a spinal tap later and I'm diagnosed with ALS in January 2020. Went to Duke ALS clinic for a second opinion. The thing that convinced the doctors was the high level of fasciculations all over my body.

Now its June 2020 and I can hardly walk and have fallen softly 4 times now. I fear uneven surfaces and turning in a different direction. My upper body is starting to fail too. Communications, breathing and eating are still fine, but I do shake noticeably now.

On the positive side, I am still working full time.

I am not looking forward to being any more dependent on my wonderful wife. This is just so unfair for all of us (and our caregivers)

No questions for now but you may hear from me.

Blair (Raleigh NC)

lgelb

Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Sorry to welcome you here, Blair. Requiring physical assistance from loved ones is one of the very hardest things to contemplate. Still, you and your wife will be able to draw on the years behind (apologies to Yeats), to make the most of the years ahead. When you have questions, we'll have answers.

Best,
Laurie

KimT

Forum Supporter
Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Hi Blair and welcome. Sorry you have to be here. I was dx three days before my 60th birthday.

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
A sad welcome.

Clearwater AL

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
NC
City
Central NC
"Hi" Blair... thanks for the intro. Yes, we do hope to hear from you. Take care.

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
Really sorry to meet you Blair, you will find much support here.

lisa g

Distinguished member
Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
04/2019
Country
US
State
FL
City
FORT PIERCE
Welcome Blair though we wish we didn't have to welcome you. You'll receive alot of good information and tips from the people here. One thing is for sure protect yourself from falls, use a cane or rollator to insure your balance.

Dee Dee 0617

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
US
State
MI
City
Escanaba
Welcome sir. I am very sorry you're here. These people are brilliant, and caring.

wmilo

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
PA
City
Zelienople
Hi Blair. Sorry for your dx, but glad you found this community. My two cents is to install a sturdy grab bar or two in the shower/bath and consider using a shower seat. (Not a good place to fall.) I got one that is high enough that I can stand fairly easily with the grab bar.

Regards,
Bill

blitzc

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
OH
City
Massillon
Hi Blair, glad you found us. You will find a helpful group of folks here.

Lkaibel

Forum Supporter
Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
Welcome Blair. This is a great group of people.

nona

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
NEW LONDON
Welcome Blair. I hope we can help make this difficult journey a little easier. We are here for you. No more falls!