06/2018
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. My father was diagnosed with ALS at the end of June. He is 73-years-old, and the whole family has been in shock because nobody had any clue something this devastating was going on with his health. This was truly a shock to the system.

Of course, we are still reeling emotionally, but one of our biggest concerns right now is how we will afford his care. He has been told he does not qualify for SSDI. Nor does he qualify for Medicaid. As a result, we are left with the depressing possibility that caring for him will bankrupt him, and therefore my mother.

Does anyone have any advice about the financial side of this diagnosis? Social workers from Eldercare and the ALS Society have only been able to tell him what he won't qualify for so far.

Thanks for reading.

Kristin

He should be able to qualify for SSD if he has a confirmed diagnosis of ALS stated in his medical record. See the sticky at the top of the forum regarding applying for disability benefits. https://www.alsforums.com/forum/gen...f-you-ve-just-been-diagnosed-what-do-now.html

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/gen...7029-applying-social-security-disability.html

I recommend he go to his local social security office with a copy of his chart notes from the doctor that diagnosed him with ALS. There may be a 5 month waiting period to qualify for benefits, dated from the time disability was established. They will arrange an interview and request medical records pertaining to the ALS diagnosis. It also helps to go to the social security website and fill out the SSD application online.

If your father is a veteran, he will qualify for numerous benefits related to ALS.

At the very least, your local ALS association will maintain a loaner closet where you can get a lot of equipment for free. The ALS clinic social worker will also be familiar with any grant programs that may be available to help your father.

Last edited:
At 73 if he has the work credits for ssdi he has the credits to get regular social security and medicare. If he doesn’t have work credits but his spouse does he should be able to get spousal benefits. I see no reason to apply for ssdi. I don’t think at 73 the benefit is higher. If you wait until 70 to collect then you get more than at normal retirement age but there is no benefit to waiting longer

If they are poor and without assets or limited assets they can apply for medicaid.

Last edited:
Is he a veteran?

Thanks, everyone, for responding. My dad is not a veteran, so he won't have those particular resources to draw on. I think he wanted to be taken care of at a facility rather than at home, but is realizing he won't be able to pay for it. His care will fall to my mother and me, I suspect. I also suspect he may try to take his life to spare us all. For the moment, it will be okay because he still has the use of his arms and legs, and his speech and breathing are unaffected. Once he can't walk anymore, I think things will take a turn for the worse.

It might be worthwhile to hire a lawyer if you can who is familiar with medicaid and spend downs. Traditionally, your parents would have to spend down their money for your father to qualify for medicaid after going into a home. Your mother would get to keep the house and a car and would keep some money.

But, I've heard that there are other ways. I wish I could remember exactly, but I did find an article about this.

Thank you. We ate going to look into hiring a lawyer to see if there is anything to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back