Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta be kidding me. I looked on the label and it doesn't mention MSG. The front label says "low salt".

I'm going to the cambell's website and see if I can get more info.

Hi Terry,
I don't know anything much about what products contain MSG, but according to Jerry Story in a post awhile ago, the MSG in V8 juice is called "seasoning" on the label. He claims that MSG is disguised by many names on labels. ?

This is from the Cambell's site:

How do I know if my Campbell product contains MSG?

Monosodium glutamate is a flavor enhancer. Campbell will clearly list MSG in the ingredient statement when it is added to any Campbell product.

On the V8 portion of the site:

Is there gluten in V8® Vegetable Juice?

No none of the V8 vegitable juice products contain gluten.

Thanks, Terry for looking up those facts. That is good to know. Just goes to prove that you can't take anything at face value, it pays to research for yourself before you make up your mind on anything.

I don't know that it's as simple as taking a statement from Campbell's at face value. MSG can also be added indirectly by adding other products high in free glutamates or which create MSG in the manufacturing process (like soy sauce). So even if Campbell's say they don't add MSG as a separate ingredient, they may be adding products that contain MSG or are high in free glutamates. Why the hell can't they just tell us what "Seasoning" is?

I'm still doing a lot of research on MSG and free glutamates, but there have been cases where people allergic to MSG have had trouble with V8 Juice.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Pals Mike said to me once , If you want to be msg free about the only thing you can eat and drink is home boiled water and belly button lint.

I've looked into a diet of belly button lint - but you have to make sure it's from cotton fabrics only...polyester causes constipation and silk makes you gassy...

Snappy comeback Richard. Good to see you have a sense of humour.

A co-worker keeps telling me that my face makes her laugh...

Is that the same thing as having a good sense of humour?

The first thing the Dr. said to my mom after I was born was "I hope you have a good sense of humour".

People keep telling my girlfriend/partner that she must have a great sense of humour for living with me...

Looks like I'm off the V-8.

Got a substitute for Magnesium and Potassium?

Re:

Terry said:
Looks like I'm off the V-8.

Much better than V8 is get a good juicer and make your own juice. V8 has "seasoning" which is MSG.

Do not trust "No MSG" on a label. It means there is no MSG as MSG but it can be inside other ingredients. If an ingredient is 99% MSG, the law does not require it to be labelled as MSG. Food manufacturers take full advantage of this loophole in the law in order to avoid scaring away customers.

Don't bother asking manufacturers whether their products contain MSG. They will give you a misleading answer.

Make your own juice and tell them to go to h...

It is important to get a -good- juicer. Some juicers are absolutely useless for juicing greens. It is important for the juicer to be able to juice greens. Some juicers make too much noise. You will want to be able to juice any time of day or night without disturbing the neighbors. Some juicers juice more efficiently than others. If you are going to do a lot of juicing (as you probably should if you have ALS) then you will want a juicer that extracts lots of juice. There is much info on the internet about juicers.

Don't trust Mercola. Mercola overhypes the Omega 8003/8005 juicer because he sells it. It's not a bad juicer, but there are juicers that are more efficient. The most efficient juicers are the twin auger juicers. More expensive, but that's okay. Of these, perhaps the most efficient and best is the Twin Health Marathon. I say "perhaps" because maybe there is a better one that I didn't find, and there is always new competition.

Blaylock's book "Health and Nutrition Secrets" is an extremely good book. It is an excellent followup to his "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills". Learn the value of flavonoids and how useful your juicer can be (if it's a good one).

Hi terry,
Carol has always said that juicing was the way to go and its what helped Henry all along. Tim still juices even though homecare didnt want to make the drink because it took too much of their precious time. I dont think it really matters what kind of juicer you have just as long as you get the end result. All natural with no problems of MSG I'm glad you are trying it I really think it is one of the best homepathic remedies seen so far. It is also great for people who cannot eat or drink because if the time comes when you need a feeding tube its not something you have to quit. Good luck to you in all your future tests and I hope your outcome will be positive.
Kim ALS About Loving Someone

Re:

I'm having reduced muscle cramps after a glass of V-8 juice every day.
Only reduced? Why not totally eliminated?
Making your own veggy juice is better than V8, for a variety of reasons.

Re:

As Pals Mike said to me once , If you want to be msg free about the only thing you can eat and drink is home boiled water and belly button lint.

Here is an incomplete list.

WATERCRESS
ALFALFA SEEDS, SPROUTED
PUMPKIN LEAVES
SQUASH
CHIVES
SPINACH
SWEET POTATO
ASPARAGUS
CABBAGE,CHINESE
BROCCOLI
LETTUCE
CAULIFLOWER
CHARD,SWISS
BEET GREENS
CAULIFLOWER
PARSLEY
SQUASH
CHICORY GREENS
ENDIVE
DANDELION GREENS
CUCUMBER
PEPPERS
CABBAGE,COMMON
CELERY
CABBAGE,RED
MELONS,CASABA
BEETS
PEPPERS,SWEET,RED
PEPPERS,SWEET,YELLOW
CARAMBOLA,(STARFRUIT)
BLACKBERRIES
AVOCADOS,RAW
APRICOTS
POTATOES
RICE,BROWN
NECTARINES
GRAPEFRUIT
RASPBERRIES
PEACHES
CARROTS
ORANGES
AVOCADOS
STRAWBERRIES
GRAPEFRUIT
WATERMELON
CHERRIES
MELONS,HONEYDEW
BLUEBERRIES
BANANAS
PINEAPPLE
PEARS
PASSION-FRUIT
MANGOS
APPLES

Mike and I stand corrected. I never thought there were that many fruits and veggies that could be juiced. I still need my meat and the odd bit of fish though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back