Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Nebraska
City
Eagle
I wanted to post an intro before I started posting and asking a ton of questions.

My husband first noticed nasal speech in Oct. 2007. The nasal speech would come and go, no big deal. It slowly progressed and was thought to be related to sinus problems. He had sinus surgery in May 2007 to correct a deviated septum and blocked sinus. We were hopeful that his nasal speech would disappear. It actually became worse and he saw a neurologist in June 2008. He has had many blood tests done to rule out infection, lead poisoning, all blood tests are normal. His antibody screening for MG has come back negative. He went to Mayo clinic for an EMG which was normal. He started on meds for MG, but they didn't help so he stopped them. He is seen at the local MDA clinic, his pulmonary function tests and his strength tests are all normal(his strength has actually improved by 10% from when he was first seen). His speech is not slurred at all, his swallowing is normal. He has been wearing a palatel lift, which has helped somewhat with his voice fatigue. He has no other symptoms at present. His voice has gotten worse, he can say a few sentences and then his voice fades and can be hard to hear. He hasn't lost any weight but it seems that his neck and face are smaller(muscle atrophy?). He is a physician and not being able to project his voice has been very difficult.

His neuro. he thinks he could have MG, PLS or ALS.

I am very interested in those here that had bulbar onset with no other symptoms.

Thanks for reading!

I am diagnosed bulbar, first symptom was slurred speech, slowness of speech, lots of huge uncontollable yawning, and extra swallowing... I also had other symptoms, which I had not noticed. Some weakness showed up during examination. Hope that helps.
wish you luck with further tests
Jennifer

Hi there. Welcome but sorry for your husbands troubles. Someone posted today about spasmodic dysphonia and some of your husbands symptoms sound like one of the 3 types of this condition. Might be worth having a look at that.

AL.

I haven't heard of that condition, I will look into that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back