Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Iowa City
Greetings. Since I’ve benefitted from reading through these forums for some time now I thought I should introduce myself and try to make some contributions of my own over time. I’m a retired academic librarian and 69 year old husband (our 47th wedding anniversary is next week) and was diagnosed with ALS at Mayo in November of last year, though I think I was having symptoms as long as a couple of years ago.

My symptoms showed up first and chiefly in my legs and with issues of balance—I’ve had a few falls. I walk with a cane and expect to be using a rollator (as I think they’re called) before long. Lots of muscle cramping and fasciculations and some muscle atrophy according to my massage therapist. No speech or swallowing issues so far, though I suspect some involvement of my diaphragm due to sporadic hiccups daily and occasional “catches” during inhalation.

As a Navy veteran from service many years ago I am fortunate to enjoy the numerous benefits that bestows of PALS. I’m currently being seen in the ALS clinic at the Iowa City VA and have been impressed by the helpfulness of the local ALSA chapter and PVA.

My wife and I live in an 1890s farmhouse we’ve restored and rehabbed over 25 years, presently sleeping in a bedroom on the second floor, but accepting that we’ll need to move to the first floor (and make other modifications) in the near future. We’d like to avail ourselves of the substantial VA grant for home modifications but anticipate there would be too many ADA-driven requirements for our old house for that to work.

I feel fortunate that despite this grim diagnosis I’m blessed with a wonderful wife and family. My two daughters are both happily married (one grandson) and pursuing their own careers. My heart goes out to those afflicted with this condition while children are young.

Welcome Statius. What did you do in the Navy?

Welcome! Great introduction... I should do something like this.

I was a radioman on aircraft carrier. Not career Navy, just doing my national service back in the day when the US had that requirement (the draft). I did get to see some of the world--Japan, Philippines, Hong Kong, Sydney.

Ed

"National service" is an English term, not American. Where'd you pick that up from?

In the 70s, I was WestPac as an AT: Guam, PI, Korea, HK, Japan. Still hoping to get to Oz.

Which carrier?

We’d like to avail ourselves of the substantial VA grant for home modifications but anticipate there would be too many ADA-driven requirements for our old house for that to work.

Actually, ADA regs don't apply to a private home unless you also run a business there. Unfortunately, local building codes do apply and they generally just cut and paste the ADA regs into their rules. The good thing is that a local building inspector can waive or modify the regs. Probably the best example of that would be in shaving a few feet off the required length of a wheelchair ramp if it simply won't fit otherwise.

Heaven knows where I got "national service" from--just a generic term that reflects the way I think of my time in the military. I was in Westpac on the Coral Sea, which was built in my hometown of Newport News around the time I was born.

Sorry to welcome you here. As you have already found, this is a great forum populated with some pretty wonderful people.

Steve

When I served on the Coral Sea, she was the oldest carrier in the Navy. Really sucked. Coral Sea, CV-43, was said to be older than CV-41, the Midway.

Well, thanks for serving. Hope you found some fun during that time.

Welcome and thanks for serving and for such a wonderful introduction. This is a great place and I am sure you will add a lot as well.

Ed, let me add my hello to the warm welcome you have already received.

My dad was a nasho, here in Australia. There's a specific memorial at the AWM these days, took a while for them to be recognised.

We have a rule here, Ed. It's Rule #1: Don't fall!

I look forward to seeing you around.

Happy anniversary to you and the missus!

Sorry to welcome you Ed, but you have found the best place for support and wonderfully practical tips and suggestions to help you.

The first one being Don't Fall! So important as you don't need to add injuries to your situation. Use that rollator, and remember it's more dignified to walk with a rollator than to face plant and get injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back