Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IE
City
Limerick
Hi,
I am 38 year old Male.
3 months ago while out running, my right forefoot skimmed off the pavement and I thought nothing of it, however this started happening more regularly and then started happening with my left foot. I stopped running 5 weeks ago. now randomly when I'm walking either one of my forefeet will skim the floor, I have constant muscle twitches in both calves and recently have found when I'm walking or turning I could sometimes lose balance on one side.
My dad's sister got als at 58 and my mum's uncle at 82, also my dad has bvftd. I've been to the doctor and am awaiting neurologist appointment, but when I read on the read before posting I'm unsure if what I have is clinical weakness as my symptoms are very intermittent.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

understandably you are hyperaware given ALS touched your family twice. Your great uncle was presumably sporadic so does not influence your risk really. There is of course an ALS FTD link. Have either your dad or your aunt been genetically tested? The most likely culprit would be c9 given the ftd and your location. Even if there is c9 in the family you may not be a carrier and you are on the young side though not impossibly so for it to manifest.

random and bilateral symptoms as you describe are not typical but of course the neurologist can tell you if anything is significant. It would be helpful for your appointment if you can figure out what is causing the loss of balance. The more specific you can be the better they can evaluate you. I have also found that if I figure out the reason for a fall I can sometimes avoid it happening

do let us know what the neurologist says. Good luck

Thanks for you're reply. No they didn't have the genetic test done. I will update here once I've met the Neurologist. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back