sdsyd

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
sd
City
piedmont
I know as many of us do, I often read too much into things.

But the oddest thing- my neuros office called and asked if they could see me before I head out to the MDA/ALS clinic on Jan 22nd. I was hesitant at first and then the nurse called back and said the Doc said its up to you, I guess.... so I went ahead and scheduled the appt for Jan 12th.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why he wants to see me before I go?

Thanks

Cindy

I guess I should have just asked? LOLOL

Last edited:
Hi Cindy...I wouldn't read too much into it. My local neuro was always 'jealous' when I saw the big city doctors....too funny. Maybe he/she wants to reassure you that they got an 'A' in class! ;)

Best of luck with your appointment!

Cindy,

He put you on his payroll, and needs that paycheck (LOL).
We all do it read to far into things, you should have asked why?
I know at the time you were probably caught off guard.

Good luck with your appointment...

Cindy,

Might be as simple as he made a note in your chart for follow up, but let's go wild with the conspiracy theories and assume the economic crisis has finally hit the medical community. Could it be possible? Two for one EMGs! Free CAT scan with every MRI... Doctors who keep asking you if you have any more questions, or if you just want to stay and chat, while you try to break away from the appointment ;)

The middle of January is getting closer. We're cheering for ya!

Robert

Cindy,
I agree with what others have said, maybe you were scheduled for a routine follow-up and they "missed it", so they felt the need to put you on the books, or the economic crisis is working its way toward the medical community, even though I seriously doubt it, but maybe, just maybe, they want to give you some of those cool drug=rep ink pens!

That's what I would ask for when I went:lol:

We'll all be thinking of you,
-brenda

While I was working my way through grad school, my wife worked as a manager for a storage company that offered climate controlled storage at a couple of locations. Some of their big clients were pharmacutical reps. When the rep would have to get rid of freebies to make room for more stuff, he would often offer them to my wife and others in the office.

I was always blown away by the different types of products they had as gimmicks. The pens and pads of paper were the tip of the iceberg. Along with pretty run of the mill things like clipboards and keychains; were things like flashlights, stress squeezers, frisbees, and compasses.

One of the cooler quirky ones was cinnamon breath strips with some brand label I don't recall. It was nice because we got a big bag of them, and at the time they were a new novelty "replacement" for gum and breathmints (pretty expensive too if I recall). There was that moment of nervousness in putting something from a drug company in your mouth ("Subject XB1265 has just consumed his third strip for the day. Continuing observation to see if this batch suffers uncontollable diarrhea like test group E).

I think we finally used the last pad of paper about three years after I got done with school. So if your scouting for freebies don't limit yourself to the pens ;)

Take care and Happy New Year,

Robert

Robert,
As I sit at my desk typing, I notice my stapler, tape dispenser, scissors, coffee mug, mouse pad, and a large collection of post-it notes and ink pens are surrounding me!

They do have some cool stuff out there, huh? Bet your wife loved seeing all the goodies!

Oh yeah, I also have blankets and coolers and beach bags, my alarm clock/pencil holder thingy,

Stuff everywhere!
Happy New Year-
talk soon,
brenda

Thats funny guys. Dan is an RN now in cardiac cath and electrophysiology. I'm telling you I have NEVER EVER seen a more spoiled group of nurses, or more "courted" specialty. The pacemaker reps and stent folks- etc etc....they get free food almost daily- gourmet coffee- catered in all the time. He is getting a rounder belly and remarkably- increased cholesterol--- ( think they are trying to drum up more business this way? ha ha)

We have tons of freebies...the mouse pad I am using says Biocompatabilities and is filled with water and has little "floaties" in it that move as you run the mouse across it- and yes- never a lack of pens, sticky notes, coffee mugs, laser pointers in the shape of pacemakers.....refrigerator magnets with hearts...
Brenda- where are you working?

My neuro has never given me any freebies. Maybe I'll ask. HA HA HA. "Can I have a to go bag?"

Hope everyone had a fun and safe night and Best wishes for 2009!
Love,
Cindy

Cindy-
I work in a rheumy office. And yes, we get a lot of gourmet coffee and pastry stuff, however, if I've heard right, all of that is going to stop as of 1/1/09.

Something about the fact that the "freebies" are "swaying" the docs toward specific drugs, whether they are the correct drug or not.

All I know is, I have enough ink pens to last a lifetime, someone told me there are people selling these ink pens on ebay for a pretty good profit. Maybe I'll consider that for employment when I retire!:lol::lol:

I'm dropping down to 2 days per week beginning on Monday, it could be a long 5 months waiting for disability to start, I may have to gather ink pens this weekend!
Happy New Year,
take care,
brenda

I had quite the collection of hotel pens from over the years. Right before I realized that I was actually sick and not going to work indefinitely, I cleaned out and threw most away. Now I wish I had kept at least one from each hotel/city for old memories sake..... and, while semi on subject, my very last trip I worked, (and at the time did not realize this trip was going to be my last) The Mont Blanc pen that I'd had for over 10 years, and only used for work, which I kept it clipped onto my uniform blazer jacket pocket, was stolen by someone during the flight :-( When I took my jacket out of the closet to put it on, the pen was gone....

Rose - That's a bummer about your pen. I hope it exploded on the person who swiped it right before an important meeting.

One last freebie story and I'll be able to let it go. I usually go to a major conference every year or so to keep my professional certification up. A few years ago we where in DC. I was talking to a vendor about a about a software program that actually sounded like something I might use. I noticed he had yoyo's as his gimmick give away.

I asked him if I could take a couple for the kids, and we had gone back to discussing the product when two well dressed ladies came running (yes running) up to the table and shouted, "Are you the guy with the yoyo's?" When he nodded they looked down, grabbed some, and popped off almost as quickly as they came. We both kind of sat there flabbergasted for a minute before wishing each other well.

Took the kids sledding up in the Big Horns today. Great powder, and they had a lot of fun. I'm paying for it, but I dont care ;)

Take care all,

Robert

Glad you enjoyed the sledding trip...sounds lke fun to me. I hope the pen that was swiped caused bad ju-ju on the person who took it,too.

We went to see Marley and Me today at the theatre. Talk about a bawlfest~!~!

One last promo story for me, too.

I am on the local park board and am trying to get new play equipment. One of the guys that came to draw up some plans was from Nebraska...and for any Cornhusker fans out there- ERIC CROUCH owns the company. Anyhow- after my 30,000 dollar estimate I slyly mentioned that my husband was a HUGE husker fan....low and behold I got a signed Eric Crouch print. I hid it for months and wrapped it for Dan for Xmas and he is going to have it framed. Amazing what a bid for a 30 grand project will get ya~!~!

Love to all-

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back