Diagnosis
02/2019
Country
US
State
NJ
City
MONROE
I just got through listening to this radio segment about the Leonard Florence Center for Living.
Seems like an interesting place. Can anyone offer any feedback/additional info? Are there others around that offer the same services?

Aside from the Boston area there is a similar place in New Orleans St Margaret’s. If you need to live in a facility I think they are wonderful. I believe they have long waiting lists.

Wow, I never heard of places like this. It looks so interesting. I have a supportive family so I don't think I would necessarily need to live in a facility like this, but on the other hand they offer SO much, and the idea of reducing the burden on my family does appeal to me. But I'm guessing there's nothing like this on the West coast.

I was very serious about the one in New Orleans when I was first diagnosed. I spoke with them several times. Back then it was $15,000 a month and you had to be a resident of LA for a year. If your money ran out before you did, they would accept Medicaid. It's really quite a good deal for singles with no family.

I also explored another self-funded option with two other PALS. We were going to buy a big house and customize it. We all owned houses that were paid off so our new house would be placed in a trust. It would have one level, an acre, a salt water pool and other things necessary for progression including a track system that moved throughout the house. The trust was going to be set up so that if one PALS died, someone else could buy their interest and move in. We would have shared the cost of in-home care around the clock and two other non-PALS students were going to buy in with their time and services. I had it all planned out but one of my PALS friends decided against a feeding tube and backed out. We understood. I even found the house just outside the city limits so there were no restrictions for multi-family living. One of the other PALS was an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back