Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
CA
State
Nova scotia
City
Porters lake
sO iM REALIZING AS i GO THROUGH THIS THAT IT IS A FIGHT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.An Ot was over to presciribe thing for my husbans safety and mobility..Called the insurance provider that we have paid into for 25 years and even the little things arent covered..I should have figuered this out when they would cover the meds...I am so frustrated that you have to beg for everything..Whats nex:sad:t!

We have Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield so far it's paid for everything but a shower chair of course it doesn't cover Prescriptions. If you haven't filed for disability then your husband should do so

As suggested on many other posts, have you contacted your local MDA/ALS chapter to get access to their loaner closet?

I would be calling the insurance company and getting a list of Exactly what they DO cover. Because it is rediculous to be paying into insurance that dosn't help when your ill or incapacitated. We had to fight with Dad's insurance about a few things but in general they have been great I am crossing my fingers that that dosn't end. I wish you luck with your insurance company, I know I hate dealing with Burocracy.

In Alberta we have Aids to Daily Living. It's a cost share program where you pay 20% of products prescribed by your OT or doctor up to $500.00 (your share) - total for the year. After that, they will cover medical equipment at no charge for that calendar year. Then it starts again. Things that we benefited from were manual wheelchairs, mattresses, etc. Does Ontario have a similar program? It's a government organization so I'm assuming they will have something. And yes, contact your ALS Society. Our ALS Clinic here was so helpful too. Please don't wait any longer. Contacting them will be so beneficial for you and your husband. Yasmin.

Happy,

I ewas told by a doctor, that insurance often times will deny the first time and they figure you won't bother resubmitting the prescription. Try, try again!

i am registerd with the als soceity and they will loan us what we need if avaliable.WE have blue cross but it is a gruop insurance through my husbands employer.I am told when he goes off we will probably be cut off(im thinking he will be off anyday..they are just trying to give him dignity as he has been there 25 year..he can nl longer do his trade and can barley walk or stand..i ant him home..we have started the disability proccess but it cannot be completed until he is officially off..mentally he isnt ready to do that..but physically he must

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back