11/2016
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
Good Morning,

Giving this a try. A little background for my dad: He was diagnosed early months of 2017, receives Social Security Disability. Medicare A and B, recently enrolled into Supplemental Insurance as well. My mother depended completely on his income when he did work. My dad can no longer cover my mother's medical expenses. What options does my mother have? We have applied by State of Texas for her to get some sort of Health Insurance but seems like there is no information or resolution at all.
Also, my dad just recently withdrew all of his 401 K money from his past employer. Even though I told him not to, he did and so now he has a few thousand dollars more in his name. Will this affect his Disability income? What do we do with this money? He plans to buy wheelchair accessible van which usually run around the 10,000. Is this a good option?

Thank You!

Re the ssi. Resources count if he buys a van if it is the only vehicle they have it will be excluded. See here for ssi https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

Ssdi is not influenced by income or assets.

Depending on household income your mom might be able to get ACA ( Obamacare) health insurance with a subsidy but the enrollment period is now and short. What program was she applying under to the state. I had a quick look at the medicaid requirements and could not see a program for healthy under 65 adults. You might find a SHIP counselor to see if they can advise

This is all so complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back