Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - that should be against the law to cancel someone's insurance when they are terminally ill. He will get his reward in ____. Fortunately for me I have handled the finances for his business and for us personally for 8 years. He has not a clue how to do anything with it. When I was diagnosed it was only "poor me, I can't take care of myself, you can't die". In order to cancel my insurance he would have to cancel all the insurance for his office. I'll keep an eye on it through the web site. I have contacted a real estate agent and an attorney.

You weren't able to get COBRA insurance when he cancelled yours? I'm still shocked that someone could be that cruel. His new one better not think she is special - he would do the same to her.

Sharonca

he cancell all the insurance for the office n family. he also closed his office n went to work for a company.

Don't forget before you leave work
change the long term disability insurance from company paid to self paid
if you can wait for open enrolment and the next cycle your diability will be tax free (except ssdi)

HR says "We do not have an option of converting coverage to an individual
policy, so you wouldn't be able to convert to a self paid plan." I'm not sure what that means. I think they mean that if I want to continue COBRA I have to do so for the whole family, not just myself.

Since I complained about my husband - it is only fair to report that he has stepped up to it. Apologized for his behavior and stated that he wanted to be the one to take care of me. Felt good.

Sharonca

cukita99
Are you sure? I know on all of my TSA retierment accounts, I had to pay the fed taxes at 20% off the top. But, because of my disability I did not pay any other penalties. They said I would pay the taxes anyway, unless it had been invested for like 20 years or something. On my regularly retirement, I had full coverage because I worked 36+ years. If you have not asked about that, please do so. Best Wishes, Peg

...The 600.00 a month for you is cheap in comparison. If your family on the other hand is generally healthy, why not look into a cheaper insurance option for them, such as an HMO, or a high deductible plan?...

Ah, but they won't let me do that. I've got the whole family on the plan now and I can't switch to just covering myself outside of "open enrollment". I also enrolled in the "plus" plan, but since i'm going on cobra i asked about downgrading and again was told no-can-do, outside of open enrollment. apparently losing he use of my limbs to ALS doesn't qualify as a "status change".

I went to clinic today. It really sounds like going on medicare is a much better deal than continuing private coverage through cobra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back