Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
This has been posted previously, but as a new forum has been created, thought I would place the idea here as well.

If you have trouble with rain-out ~ in other words, water dripping from the hose onto your face from the bipap, it is my understanding it is due to the room being a a cold enough temperature in contrast with the air in the hose, to where condensation forms ~ and it rains :neutral: The problem was especially frustrating because I find it hard to sleep if the room isn't nice and cool, and I also have problems with dryness, so I did not want to sacrifice the humidity, or try to sleep in a room that was an uncomfortable temperature.

Covering the hose helps to insulate it and helps with this. There are commercially made versions of a snuggly for the hose that can be purchased. I sewed one for myself though.

If you, or someone you know, plan to make one, remember when measuring the fabric, the places where the hose joins with the mask and to the machine, are larger in circumference than the rest of the hose. I did not use a zipper (I believe the commercial versions have a zipper that run most of the length of the cover) and at first I had the problem of the ends of the hose grabbing at the fabric when I'd slide the cover off or on for washing, as the tubing has the rubber gasket/coupling ring things. After some experimentation, I found that wrapping a piece of aluminum foil over the ends covering the rubber parts allows the cover to slide easily over them. The foil can saved and re-used for when the cover needs to be taken off and on.

There are a couple of pictures of the one I made over on my user profile page.

Also, as Patty (hopingforthebest) has mentioned, tucking the hose under the blankets at night makes a big difference. I've started keeping it under the covers much more lately as I've gotten more accustomed to having the mask on while sleeping.

actually rose, the first thought i had when i saw this new forum was of your bipap cover! it's wonderful!

I use a CPAP machine and I made a cover for the hose with polar fleece. If you make it bigger around than the tubing it slips over the ends easily. After some experimenting I found that rubber bands work the best to hold the fleece at each end of the tubing.
Donna

I should have added to my post about the cover for my CPAP tubing that my husband has been diagnosed with ALS. I've been reading all the posts here and have gathered a wealth of info for his care.
Donna

Donna,

I'm sorry for your husband's diagnosis, but, welcome to the forum.

I did a quick search for polar fleece one day, but could not find any that I thought went with the rest of the fabrics in the room. The more insulating the better because the whole point is to prevent rainout from occurring.... You're so right about making the cover bigger in diameter. Your idea to use rubber bands is a simple solution. :)

If it's ok to post links to businesses on the forum, I can give you a link for an online store that has polar fleece in every color imaginable!
Donna

It is okay to post links that are helpful for PALS. But not for someone trying to make a profit selling to desperate people.

Perfect wording Joel!

I think that link would be most helpful... I did not want to come off sounding superficial about it "matching" the room, there really was not much of a fabric selection where I stopped in at, and my stamina is just about non existent; no "Search Till I Conquer" shopping for me! Besides doing the job of insulating the hose from cooler air in the room, it does help take away the medicine-y appearance of the) machine by the bed too. (Although I've had remarks it looks like a flowered snake... )

Rose, I thought of you and your hose covers when my sleep doctor ordered me one when I complained of water dripping on face. I didn't realize that was why you made one; I just thought you were really into decorating....:lol:

Lydia

Lydia,

LOL, yes, knowing me it would not be a stretch to think that. Did you get a cover yet? It really does do the trick, very rarely do I get wet. Tucking the hose under the covers helps too. I woke up with the darned thing around my neck the other morning, must turned over one too many times!

I woke up with the darned thing around my neck the other morning, must turned over one too many times!

Rose, this is something I've thought of, how do you keep from getting tangled? I'm a turner and I don't know how I will cope when the time comes. Maybe I'll have to have my wife tie me to the bedposts! :wink:

Barry

I wrap my hose with bubble wrap a great iinsulator

pat 1

Barry ,
I wouldn't let it bother you too much. As you say you are a turner, then you will feel it before it becomes a problem. Your mask may come off, or start burping (remember blowing farts on your arm by blowing on it when you were a kid?)

The best thing is to make sure that your mask has a swivel on it where the hose meets the mask.

Hey all.....not on a bi-pap yet but it will certainly be coming down the road.....I was a 'turner' too, but now when Joan gets me 'hoyered' into bed that is where I stay except ffor some laborious wiggling. Turning is a fond memory!
Who knew that a benefit of limb onset was that you don't have to worry about getting tangled up in your bi-pap hose? :)
This is one strange disease, isn't it?
Rick

Thanks Glen, I went to the ALS clinic yesterday and my pulmonary stuff is still good even though I have to hold my lips closed with my fingers! So I guess I don't have to worry about getting tangled up in Bi-pap yet.

Rick, you are so right, this is a strange disease. In fact I wonder if it is all the same disease given the differences in where it first hits and how fast or slow it progresses. I guess until a cure, treatment or at least a cause is found we won't know for sure. And I am sorry to bring up turning in bed, I keep forgetting how different this is for others and how good I have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back