Insight Greatly Appreciated (Bulbar concerns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newcomer

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Newark
Hello Everyone,

Sorry for any annoyance this post may cause but I was concerned about some symptoms I’ve been having. I have read the “Before posting” threads and won’t mention any of my symptoms that have been said to not really correlate to als. Recently I started having some trouble swallowing. Seems like it takes extra effort to get everything all the way down. This is especially noticeable when I try swallowing with me head turned either way or tilted back. Additionally, it sometimes sounds like gargling coming from my throat when I swallow liquids. I made the mistake of going to Dr. Google and bulbar als popped right up. I’ve had widespread muscle twitching but I’m not concerned about that given that there’s no weakness or atrophy anywhere. However, when I look at my tongue fully at rest, every 5 seconds or so I’ll get fasciculations in random spots on my tongue. This is constant no matter what time of day I look. I still have full range of motion and although I may perceive slurred speech due to anxiety I will not say that I actually slur anything. I was just wondering is this matched initial symptoms of anyone who was diagnosed with bulbar and if so, what exactly did your fasciculations look like in your tongue at rest? I have an appointment with a neurologist on nov 11. I would just like to ask these questions here in the meantime.
Thank you for your time.

ps I’m a 20 year old male so I understand that this should be an extremely rare case but I’ve been stalking this forum for a while and could quite find the answer I was looking for.

We cannot compare fasciculations, but the hallmark of bulbar ALS is speech changes that someone else notices. Most often what you describe is related to allergies, dry mouth, and/or GERD. Your primary care physician, even by video, is the best person to evaluate you for these and any other possible issues.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your reply. Do these speech changes occur overnight or are they gradual? Also do they remain constant? For instance would it be like one day you wake up and your mouth/tongue will no longer be able to make an s sound?

You don't need to go any further down the rabbit hole. Stop googling and make an appointment with your PCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back