Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
Hi. I want to say first and foremost I am so sorry for what all of you on here are going through. ALS is a horrific disease and we need to find a cure. I have two questions, and hopefully somebody would be kind enough to answer and help me out.

1) I am a 21 year old male with no other significant medical issues. I am seeing a neurologist currently for migraines. When I type or hold my hand out in front of my face in a straight line some of my fingers twitch or shake a little like a tremor. In addition, my left arm (non-dominant) feels heavy and weak. I am able to lift it in front of my face or above my head but it feels like a weight is attached or is a little heavy. Basically, I am asking if one arm and side feeling weaker and heavy and fingers and hand shaking a little like a tremor sounds like the beginning stages of ALS. I will also disclose I have diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and probably have some health anxiety along with it. I am seeing a therapist and working on CBT to try and alleviate some of my concerns and stop my anxiety. But do my symptoms sound like ALS? Would my neurologist have said something if he suspected anything? I did not inform him of the shaking or tremors.

2) My uncle is 54 years old and has a hard time moving around now. He is overweight and previously had a hip replacement surgery around 10 years ago. He has not lost muscle mass, but he does have periods where his arm and leg sort of stop working and are very weak. Previously we were concerned he was having a stroke, but the symptoms sort of relented a bit. The only other concerning symptom is he can have a hard time swallowing food. After he eats he feels like food is stuck in his throat, though it never causes him to choke or anything. He is the opposite of me and does not worry about anything. I am posting to make sure he does not match any symptoms either.

To those that respond thank you so much. I really appreciate it, and I hope to hear some responses pointing me in some direction.

Please read this if you have not already done so

Your symptoms do not suggest ALS. You could have a benign tremor. Feeling weak has nothing to do with ALS.

Your uncle had some symptoms improve. That would not suggest ALS. He needs to see his doctor for a good general health evaluation.

If you read that link I provided, it should answer your questions and reassure you.

@KarenNWendyn Thank you very much for your reassurance and reply. I really do appreciate it. I read the link your provided, and gained a more informed opinion and understanding of the depth of ALS. I hope I did not offend anyone by posting. My uncle has had many cardiac problems before too, so perhaps that is more in line with his problems. I attached a picture of my thumbs as I was curious if anyone could confirm they appear to be healthy and full. I tried looking online to see examples, but could not find any. I did read that the thumb muscle lessening, weakening or showing atrophy is one of the first signs of ALS.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9326.JPG
    IMG_9326.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3388.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9326.JPG
    IMG_9326.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
Zero atrophy. We usually say hard to tell from pictures but yours look fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back