Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
VA
City
Roanoke
I have had calf fasciculation’s and cramping feet for months now and I have read the sticky note, which indicated that without muscle failure they are probably benign.
But I also have some twitches or jumpy muscles in my calves and behind the knee that I can feel but NOT see. Are these fibrillations?
I have been reading very conflicting information on the internet regarding fibrillations, I decided I would ask the following questions of people who know better than me. I hope that's ok.
  1. Can you FEEL fibrillations?
  2. Are fibrillations ALWAYS a sign of Motor Neuron Disease?
Below is conflicting information about question 1 – Can you feel them?
“ALS From both sides” by Dianne Huberty ALS patient
“Fibrillations occur in single muscle fibres within a muscle. They cannot be felt but can be seen on EMG.
Versus
“ Popular Science” website

“Fibrillation, on the other hand, affects just a single muscle fibre.
So you'll feel it, and it'll feel pretty much like a small fasciculation, but you won't be able to see it, and an EMG will just barely pick it up”.

Below is conflicting information about question 2 – Are they always a sign of Motor Neuron disease?
Wikipeda -
“Fibrillations can occur in healthy individuals.”
Versus
“ Popular Science” website

“Fibrillation indicates that the surrounding muscle fibres have completely lost their nerve supply.
Fibrillations are very bad news, and indicate a serious nerve disorder, like Lou Gehrig's Disease.”

Mod note: this person was banned for multiple profiles

Last edited by a moderator:
No you can not feel muscle fibre fibrillations they are an emg phenomenon. Little twitches are... little twitches

no all fibrillations found on emg indicate ALS or something else catastrophic In fact they often go away as a small issue heals

i am unfamiliar with this popular science website but it doesn’t sound at all reliable

Thank you Nikki. You are correct that some websites are misleading. Most of the ALS websites and Medical websites list fasciculations as a common symptom of ALS. None of them say fasciculations "along with" muscle weakness/failure. They all list muscle weakness as a separate symptom. If these medical websites added a little extra information about ALS fasciculations, you might not have half the people post here. If they added "coupled with" or "in conjunction with" etc. I had to come here and read the very informative sticky before I calmed down about the twitching. So a big thanks from everyone you have helped !!

I'm glad Nikki could address your concerns - the read first post we wrote also address that pretty clearly.
No matter how clearly we state it, people will still ask if they are the exception I'm afraid.

I'm so glad you don't have ALS symptoms. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back