Diagnosis
03/2007
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Jacksonville
Hi everyone, This maybe a stupid question, but here goes. I have bulbar onset, my daughter is expecting my second grandchild in June,:-D:-D:-D, I am very happy for this little angel. This one is the blessing from God in this ALS crisis. The first one was during the break up of a 22 yr. marriage, (pre ALS). Stress ya think? Both my guadian angels. Sorry back to the question, can cord blood (new Grandchild) be used to help me? You all are so helpful and understanding, and this may be one of those DUH what was she thinking questions but... any ideas? sherry

Sherry I Have The Same Question .i Guess We Need To Call The Als Research Or Write Them. I Heard They Are Doing Wonders With The Cord Blood But Not For Als Yet Pat

My daughter the nurse thought about the same thing for stem cells but it wasn't really going to do any good. That was 1 year ago next week.
AL.

I have 2 new grandbabies due early in 2008. Is there some lab that collects and stores this blood for later use?

Did anyone happen to see what Micheal J. Fox said about any breakthroughs in Stem Cell Research?
He was on one of the entertainment show's the other night, but I did not get to hear what he said. Would be interested if anyone did.

I have banked both my daughters cord blood with Lifebank USA (they 3 and 5). There are many companies that bank cord blood - Viacord is the biggest I believe. However, I do not think that the stem cells will help at all since there is currently no research to support the use of stem cells to treat ALS. (as I understand it, all this work is very experimental and no real results have been seen). You could always do it in case they figure out stems cells for later.
Be warned, its expensive. Around $1000 for the initial collection and then $100 per year or so for storage. The efficacy of stem cells over the long term has yet to be proven - the literature I have suggests that they may be viable for up to 20yrs but who knows. It is such a new area.

Thanks for all the info. Cindy

cord blood

We also banked our sons cord blood with CBR...hoping that it may be of use for my husband sometime....lets hope and pray for more research in this area!

Thanks everyone for the info. I was indeed thinking of the stem cells that could possibly harvested from the cord. If not for me but my daughter and grandchild. My emotional state has been pretty bad this week so I guess I am grasping for straws. Laughing...mostly crying tends to make my mind reach out for something. My support group has been great though family and you guys. THANKS again, Sherry

sherry, I am so sorry to hear about your emotional state. I wish I knew how to help you, such as ideas on what to do or whatever, but this darn disease is so evil, and oh so tricky. It messes with peoples' minds in oh so many different ways. Each individual has his/her own way of coping with this monster. Have you noticed that? I will be praying for you. We have so many new members. It is kinda hard to keep up.LOL! I am trying to do more reading than posting. In my case, I don't have much to say, other than sounding like a broken record, over and over! LOL! I just care about these folks, and it breaks my heart when they are down, suffering, or whatever. A cure would be a blessing. We'd all get together and CELEBRATE! God bless!

Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back