Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
State
GA
My PALS and I are suppose to go to my son's wedding in two weeks. There are a number of problems cropping up. First the Easy Lock appears to be broken. Is it safe do you think to just depend on using the manual release. This does seem to work. Next my PALS likes the nasal masks by Circadiance ..the Elan...but the headgear is too small for his face. Does anyone have any suggestions about this. He needs a nasal mask with an extra large head gear. Also my PALS has gained about 30 pounds I think. I am angry at myself that I was slow to notice this. I just followed the dietician's directions about how many cans of Kate Farms to give him and it turns out this was based on 2200 calories. Why she thought a PALS his age who is in a wheel chair would need so many calories is beyond me. At this point I am really disappointed in the dietician and respiratory therapist for their lack of assistance and knowledge. At this point, I feel everyone needs to be micro-managed and everything anyone says needs to be double checked and questioned. My PALS has a small tear in his nose from one of the nasal masks. I don't know if it will heal without a few stitches or not. I tried steri strips but they don't stay on the nose well. I. guess I should call an ENT and make an appointment about his nose. Anyone have ideas on any of these topics. Sorry for the rant.

Hi, Mary -- sorry for your troubles. Is he using the Large size Elan? If that size fits him well, that should in theory give the headgear enough room. If not, I would call or email Circadiance and ask about compatible larger headgear (that you could get from the headgear page on cpap.com) or what suggestions they have. Their contact info is on their Web site.

Normally, abrasion tears in the nose should heal without sutures. Is this on the bridge, nostril, or where? I would try a dab of ointment when he's not wearing the mask -- does he wear it all day? with some "gentle paper tape" or micropore tape on it when he does wear the mask. Depending on where it is, even a "nonstick" bandaid where you can put the sticky part on undamaged parts may work.

I will leave the Easy Lock question to experts!

Best,
Laurie

Thank you IGELB. The Circadiance representative is going to zoom with us and she mentioned the large size head gear as well.
I am having the van towed to the repair shop this morning and then the tow company will tow it back. The repair shop thinks it is probably only a blown fuse. I am relieved about what your saying about the tear. I am pointing antibiotic ointment on it. This is a tear on the skin between the nostrils. It is deeper than I am comfortable with. He wears the Bi-Pap 24/7 but the mask he is using now is not touching that area....or so he says. I hope PALS is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back