Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
oz
State
oz
City
RURAL
Wednesday morning Web got up and was ready for his coffee. [Should he be drinking..NO!] He is not willing to give it up. He so enjoys that one cup of steaming hot coffee that is mostly cream and sugar. He has a routine of sitting in the sun on the back porch, watching his dog, listening to the birds and trying to drink his coffee. Suddenly I hear a DIFFERENT cough than he has normally-wet and harsh! He had aspirated his coffee! The coughing and choking only seemed to increase his secretions. I see that he is maintaining his color-good. I ask him to nod "yes" if he can breathe and it is a YES but this nonstop, ghastly wet gagging cough that is choking him along with copious amounts of secretions. 15 minutes go by and still choking. I listen to his lungs and they are clear. I tell him that we need to go to the Hospital so he can be suctioned. [it is obvious to me that he is choking on thick secretions at this point] HE REFUSES! He somehow lets me know that he is willing to pass if it is his time :shock: Absolutely NOT is he going to die from some stupid secretions! :twisted: After 30 minutes of this living Hell I do the only thing left, I cry. I cry and beg him to go for me because this is just torture and so easily fixed. He finally agrees. I phone the Nurse of our Dr., explain the situation and that I will be bringing him to the ED so we can suction him so would she please call them and have it set up. We go straight to ED-bypass the Business Office, the Nurses Station and as soon as we get to the room, 2 of my friends have it all ready to go! I did suction out some thick, ropey secretions. Just like that his choking cough changed to a dry sound and decreased significantly. I asked them to call and get me home suction delivered and Web looked at me and said, "Do YOU feel better?" I of course felt so relieved and answered "YES"! He said, "Fine, can we go home now?!" lolol The moral of the story is that if any of you have issues with choking/drooling DO NOT PUT OFF GETTING HOME SUCTION! They brought me this wonderful compact little machine made by Devilbiss and it is the 7305 Series. It is in a nylon carrying bag, has battery backup and also has a adaptor so it can be used in the car. I feel so much better now, at least I will be able to do something! No, I am not going to demand that he stop his coffee but I do have the suction ready! It was really scary. Nothing that I want to repeat. The other gift in all of this horribleness is how blessed we are to live in a small town. If you do not live in a teeny tiny little town where everyone knows everyone you would not have the ability to phone the hospital, tell them what you need and just go in. :-D If you do not have home suction GET IT NOW! hugs, Kay Marie

Scary. Glad it all worked out in the end. I would sooner die than give up my coffee too, so I can relate. :)

Dick

That would have been so scary. Glad you have your own suction machine now. It sure made life easier for dad. We didn't go anywhere without it.

Well sometimes you just have to give things up no matter how much it hurts. I am sorry but that is just the way it is. He can still sit on the porch in the sun with the dog and the birds but there will come a time when he won't be able to drink anything. :(:(

I am so glad that you got the suction machine, that was my first piece of equipment that I got at least a year before I ever used it. My clinic ordered it for me and I thought that what do I need this thing for? That was before I had to use it for the first time and realized that it is essential for anyone with bulbar issues and something we should all have.

Have a good Easter!

Barry

So scary for you! Glad that you have the machine now.

So glad you are setup to deal with this the next time it happens! It is never fun dealing with this kind of thing. Glad it had a happy ending!

Kay Marie
I am sorry that happened but glad things worked out. On the plus side, I am going to take your advise. We go to clinic next Friday and I will be asking for that suction machine as Serena really can't work up a good cough any more. The things I learn on this forum. Thanks

Kay Marie,

I'm happy it turned out well in the end. Thank goodness you stuck to your guns. I've used my cough assist machine to clear, and it has worked.

Dear kay Marie, How scary for you and him.. I am so glad that everything turned out good and that you are all set up.... Hugs, Linda

Thanks for all of your support and commiserating with me! Linda, do you have suction at home? Will Medi [I DON'T] Care pay for a cough assist when he needs BiPap? xo

Wow Kay Marie, that was a close call. Glad Web (and you) are ok. How much convincing will you need to do to get him to give up his Java? I am sure that is sooooo difficult. I like my morning coffee as much as the next person but feel I could give it up if necessary. As Barry said, he can still enjoy the scenery and the dog. Hugs.

I do have the suction machine.

It has been used 3 times.

I had been the guinea pig when it came in. I gagged, but it wasn't that bad.

The first time, it yanked out this glob of green mucous. Let me tell you, that worked , at little more traumatic, but relief.

The second and third time was the same - the moment the tube hit my throat, I gagged and it came up.

Kay Marie, Yes I do have a suction maching... I don't have a caugh machine ... I haven't even set mine up yet. I just put things off. I guess I need to take it out of the box and practice with it before I really need it. I am choaking on everything now. Well drinks and smoothies and some soups I am pretty good with. I keep trying to eat other things. Just little bites thinking I can. Well, NO, I know I have to give it up... This has been an eye opener for me ... Tell Web for me that because of his scary experience I will start using the suction machine..Tell him i am so sorry that he had to go through that..both of you.... L

Wow, Kay Marie! That was scary! Both of you must be exhausted! I am so glad things turned out okay in the end hun. I book marked this page and will keep a close eye on my dad. So far, no choking.....but I know it is coming. Thank you so much for the heads up!
Hugs, Kari

OH, Kay Marie, how awful! I think I would have twisted his bells and got him moving sooner had I been in your place. perhaps the decisions are his to take but in cases like this where an action brings him quickly back to normal I think I thiunk the decisions are mutual and you have the right to over-ride his bull-headedness.
This is in no way a criticism but it is an interesting point as to who has the right to make such decisions. In this case where it was "simple" enough to put him back on track you had the right. Why should you be put through so much stress for so long.
LOVE TO ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back