Diagnosis
12/2021
Country
US
State
UT
City
South Jordan
Our daughter, Amy, passed away in our home on Friday, April 7th. She had FTD and Bulbar Onset ALS which had progressed to the point where she could no longer speak. She could still walk up to a few days before her death and even then could help transfer to toilet or chair, but she was very weak. He legs were unsteady and her hands didn't work well. Swallowing was difficult and she didn't eat much. She had fallen at home and her husband could no longer care for her needs while working and caring for 2 young daughters, so we decided it was time to move her to our home on April 5th.

We were afraid she would be upset about staying with us, but she seemed to know it was time. We had gotten a bidet toilet seat to help because she could no longer wipe and we found that she loved the warm seat and water, sometimes indicating that she wanted to go to the bathroom when she didn't really need to go.

The first night went well and she slept soundly, but the next day she had thick mucus in her throat that kept her from swallowing anything. It just came right back out. The cough assist helped a bit at first, but she hated it and more mucus kept coming, so we stopped putting her through that. The second night was rough. We took turns staying with her. She couldn't recline at all without mucus congestion and trouble breathing. The next day she was too weak to keep her eyes open and barely cognizant of anyone around her. The hospice nurse came and had us administer morphine to help Amy be more comfortable.

Our family all came to be with her throughout the day, especially her husband and daughters. They were the last to say goodbye to go home to bed that night. Less than 2 hours later she passed away peacefully as I spoke to her of all the people who love her. I'm grateful to have brought her into this world and to have been with her when she passed on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. What wonderful parents she had. It must be horrible to lose a child, no matter what age. Amy was so fortunate to have such a loving family.

May she rest in peace.

Peace to you and your wonderful family.

Sending thoughts and prayers during this time. Deepest condolences.

Any was so lucky to have such wonderful and supportive parents. Sending you so much love. ❤️

This is heart breaking news. You surrounded her with loving care and always thought about what was best for Amy and her family. I pray for Amy's two daughters during this time of grief, that they will always remember their Mom when she was vibrant and full of life and love.

Chris,
I am so very sorry. That she had the best possible passing with her loved ones does not change the loss. Wishing the entire family much peace and strength, and the comfort of all your memories of your years together.

Best,
Laurie

Chris, I'm so very sorry for you and your family's loss. Your daughter passed away in a very similar manner to my husband, just two days apart. They were close to the the same age, as well.

Virtual hugs to you, your wife, her children, and her husband. My deepest condolences.

Last edited:
Our deepest condolences to you and your family. Fly free Amy,

So terribly sorry for your loss. There are no words. Sending you all love. X

Utterly heartbreaking. I’m so sorry. Xxx

I'm so very sorry, Chris. My heart breaks to think of your having to accompany your daughter through this terrible journey. I'm sure it meant everything to her to feel loved and cared for throughout. Peace to you and her husband and children.

Chris I am so very sorry for your loss. I will be praying for peace and comfort for you and her whole family, esp her DH and children.

Hugs

I am so sorry for your loss. She is now at peace.🙏🏻

Thank you all for your words of comfort. There is a big hole in our lives and we miss her so much, but we are glad she is free from her broken ALS body. The only good thing about ALS is that it prepares you to let them go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back