07/2007
Country
US
State
KY
City
Paducah
Good Day

I recently posted on the forum and received interesting negative and positive returns. The purpose of my post was to start a dialog on ways to improve the hardware used in the care and day-to-day existence.

I received a negative response from my using the made up term “combatee” and that I may be in shock, needing to learn more about the disease. I know enough about the disease since my DX in July 07 that people dealing with ALS are in a battle. I meant no disrespect to the people with ALS and their caregivers nor was I trying to be funny. There is nothing funny about MND.

I am an inventor and designer of specialty equipment mostly marine vessels. A habitat is a place you exist. People with MND have an ever-diminishing habitat area.

I suggest as a starting point a system I call the “Environmental Habitat” that would help the hygiene, bodily functions, and provide a comfortable place or habitat for the ALS “combatee”. Imagine computer scanning of the body to create lower, middle and upper plastic blown body forms articulated and joined to allow the body of the user to be in a heads up, supported, and comfortable position. This articulated plastic body support will be mounted and controlled by the habitat module.

The habitat module would be about the size of a large footstool and house the sewage-holding tank, electrical, hydraulics, computer, and mobility components. The use of micro mini motors, and other robotics would evolve from the basic prototype.

I would like to have those interested in working on the advisory development committee contact me directly at This group would brain storm t...ittee would assist those efforts. Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Your post reminds me of a spot I saw on PBS recently about an inventor who came up with a wheelchair that functions almost intuitatively.

You may need to talk to some of us (like me!:smile:) in plain English and with a little less jargon, though. JMOHO...

I cannot get the link to work, but sounds like quite a amazing idea. Anytime someone is researching for something to make MND life easier is great to me..

I think that is an email address. I asume Bob put it up like a web address to confuse the software that surfs the net these days looking for email addresses in order to spam them.

Last edited:
Uncle Bob,

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest you go to the ALSTDI forumfor more input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Uncle Bob but the link didn't take us anywhere other than to a message saying we were possibly being led astray from Bell South so it was removed. Want to try again?
Just as an aside, how long do you think it would take to get this group together, decide on a model, secure funding, find or design the mechanics, robotics etc, build a prototype and have a working model? Any idea what it would cost and how much funding you are looking for?
Some people call me the devil's advocate for asking such questions but that's just the way I am.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back