• 2687F423-86BD-45A5-8195-E9B73861118D.jpg
    2687F423-86BD-45A5-8195-E9B73861118D.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 97EE4931-05FD-4720-96F6-1E72AC2962C1.jpg
    97EE4931-05FD-4720-96F6-1E72AC2962C1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 181
Greg

I’ve posted about this before.

Our experience with 911 is from a different perspective but touches on the same issues.

My wife who has lost her ability to speak could not effectively communicate with 911 should I become incapacitated and need emergency attention.

We learned that our 911 could respond to text messages but would need specifics such as address, etc. Cell phones know coordinates but not our country road address.

As for specific instructions to responding emergency personal our 911 folks have a “premise file” where each homeowner gives these specific instructions. The idea is that responders have access to this file and in route can prepare. Unfortunately, on the last emergency the responders were unaware of this file of information.

If you have concerns about 911 I would advise calling their non-emergency number and discussing issues with them. We did this and changes were made to the system as a result: They researched and we tested an iPhone App that will call and alert 911 of an emergency and give a valid address. They also changed their procedures to include EMT access to the Premise file.

Here is a straw man that could help take a PALS through 911, EMS and the ER. I realize it's more than you bargained for, Greg, but hopefully still useful. I read through various wallet cards, EMS protocols and ALS pages but they did not seem to include the range of issues that I wanted to. Many thanks to Karen for her review!

Best,
Laurie

Attachments

• ALS emergency protocol.pdf
    74.2 KB · Views: 147
Short and concise. nice.

Thank you Greg, Laurie, and Wendy .

I think it is excellent. What a great resource for emergency personnel . I think it would also be helpful for families to keep handy to give to EMTs when they arrive and/or to take with them to the ER.

I hope you don't mind one suggestion. Since my husband's primary issue was respiritory from day one and we did have numerous 911 personnel come to our home, I think it would help to make a clear statement under the lift/ position section maybe after " keep head elevated" , as to how critical it is for breathing. This was something I had to say over and over again.

Thank you all again for all the time and energy in putting this together for everyone, Kate

Will add that, Kate, thanks!

I'll await other suggestions before reposting.

Here are some comments on your PDF file.

1. The first page contains a title only (as shown on my PDF viewer). That seems unnecessary.
2. On the first page, the text starts with "ALS was founded in 1869". I suspect you meant some other word besides "founded", such as identified.
3. On page 4, in the first paragraph, "This could make the breathing difficulty worsen and cause", "worsen" should be worse (make ... worse vs make ... worsen).
4. On page 4, in the first paragraph, "Calls received from the individual with ALS, they can communicate" would be better stated as "People with ALS communicate in "

Thanks for putting this together.

Steve

Steve, you are commenting on the original Greg posted. I posted a substantial revision (attached, now includes Kate's suggestion).

Attachments

• ALS emergency protocol.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
For what it is worth, I have uploaded the EMS/ER document I received from my local ALSA chapter for comparison.

Attachments

• SCN_0023.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
Thanks, Wilson, that was one that I had looked at, so it should be incorporated.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks to all of you for bringing this up, and for working on the document. It will be a great help for me going forward. I also wish there was a subscribe button on the forum so I could follow without wasting people's eyeballs with my message! Also wish there was a thumbs-up button. I'd be giving them all day long.

Katalin you can subscribe to threads and forums :)

There is also a "Subscribe to this thread" function up top, under "Thread Tools."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back