Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
New Hampshire
City
Capital
I will try to be as brief but thorough as possible.

Male, will be 30 in a few weeks.

My "symptoms" started in January when I noticed that my right leg was much less strong than it used to be. I'll happily admit that the weakness is NOT clinical by any means, but the sudden drop off in strength is very alarming for me as I'm a strength and conditioning coach of high level athletes, so training and exercise are part of my weekly routine. In general my whole right leg just feels awkward and like I have a lack of dexterity. My right gastroc/soleus, hamstring, and glute all feel smaller than my left (particularly my hamstring which is actually fairly noticeable).

In the meantime I became choking on my own saliva. At first it was very intermittent. For example I would lay down to go to sleep at night and when there would be a slight build up of saliva that you would "subconsciously" just swallow down, I would initiate the swallow and then my throat felt like it would spasm/freeze and I would get some in my windpipe and cough.

When this began to happen more frequently I became a little worried and scheduled an appointment with my PCP. He did your typical neurological exam (tested reflexes, had me push/pull in different ways) told me I had a compressed nerve in my back. Sent me for imaging, everything is normal. Next he told me that I was fine, and that I had anxiety and prescribed me some paxil (which I haven't started to take yet).

In the meantime I booked an appointment with my neuro (saw one a few years ago for migraines), but because it's not coming off of a doctors referral the appointment isn't until late September. Since my appointment with the PCP I've started to have fasiculations in my right quadriceps, hamstring and lower leg. They are usually short (last only a few seconds) and are worse at night.

The swallowing problem seems to be getting worse, though I want to share specifically what it feels like so maybe the folks here can relate/not relate. I feel like I'm losing "dexterity" with my throat, as in, when I swallow I have to take these big gulps, sometimes swallowing down too much air with water (which causes me to burp), and I feel like my throat doesn't "recycle" quickly enough (as in if I'm taking multiple sips in a row). Same thing with food, though to a lesser degree. At this point I have no weakness in my tongue (so it seems), or lips, no slurring, etc...

I did read the sticky in this forum, which is much appreciated, and very informative, and did give me some piece of mind, it's just difficult not to wonder while you are sitting around waiting for an appointment. I hope I've been clear in my descriptions, and am fully open to the possibility of this being in my head, anxiety, or something much less scary than MND. Typing all of this out is cathartic, and this community is greatly appreciated. Doing a little research on this has given me a new found appreciation for those living with this disease, and regardless of my personal outcome I would like to become more involved in the fight against ALS in general.

Cliff notes:
30 year old guy
Perceived weakness in right leg
Fasics in right leg
Weird swallowing problems
PCP cleared
Waiting on Neuro appointment

FFFF, thanks for posting the details coherently. First, take the Paxil.

Your doc cleared you and did not see fit to make a neuro appointment. That tells me you almost certainly don't have a serious problem. But I'll consider each symptom specifically.

The description of your leg doesn't seem like serious weakness.
Twitches are so common, they are not diagnostic of anything. Healthy people get them. I think it happens more as we age.
Honestly, I can't tell if your swallowing problem is ALS-like, or if it is due to a hyper-awareness of your swallowing function.

From your description of symptoms. I don't see any reason to worry about ALS. If there is something wrong as you say, it could be many, many other things.

Keep the appointment with the neurologist and chase down the problem. ALS is really rare, so worry about something less fatal in the meantime.

--Mike

Thanks for the quick response, Mike!

I do think my swallowing issue could be due to a hyper-awareness, and in fact, I hope that it is. It's difficult not to stress about these things though as you sit around waiting for an appointment.

Regarding the fasiculations, I think what concerns me the most about them is that they are concentrated in the area where I seem to be experiencing a decrease in strength. But like you said, twitching can be caused by many things. This I know from my experience as a strength coach for many years. Just the "coincidence" of it is unsettling for me at this moment.

It does seem reading on the internet can be poison at times. You'll read something about how ALS presents as "x-y-z" and then ONE person will say, "well I was the exception to that" and then that little voice in the back of your head starts to creep in again.

If he did not, I would ask the PCP to send over a lab order for a Lyme test, based on where you are and the sx you mention. I would also try some Mg lotion as electrolyte imbalances don't always manifest on labs. All the best.

Thank you, I will do that.

For what it's worth I was tested for Lyme last year when my resting heart rate suddenly dropped into the 30s. I was later diagnosed with 2nd degree type I heart block.

Something new started today. I keep starting to yawn, but then the yawns are cut short. Could this be related or am I just imagining more stuff?

FFFF: Yawning, or yawns cut short, have nothing whatsoever to do with ALS.

Okay. That is reassuring. I did a search on this site and it does seem frequent yawning is common with people with ALS (at least it's talked about a bit), but as you've said it doesn't seem to be a defined clinical research.

Slightly off-topic, Mike I see you posting in a lot of threads. Your patience and input is appreciated. You ever get tired of all of our ridiculous questions?!

FFFF: People who have had ALS for awhile tend to get tired. That might account for the yawning there. Plus, yawning is a major thing for people who are--or will be--paralyzed in the chest. But as far as being an early sign of ALS, no. Some studies say excessive yawning is sometimes a symptom of MND, but you've got one day of yawns cut short. I've done that plenty of times, but I don't have any MND or ALS. My wife (RIP) never had a yawning problem.

The hallmark of ALS is a limp, useless, paralyzed muscle, with no feeling or sensation associated with it. Until that happens, every other symptom is shared in common with many conditions. It makes no sense to leap from common symptoms to a rare disease.

I never get tired of the threads. I've been here for four years, longer than most PALS live. I learn a lot and I like to share. The posts here in the "Do I Have ALS" subforum are mostly amusing. It's amazing how many people become convinced they're dying of a fatal disease when they are perfectly healthy. Usually, I think, they are just young people who are surprised at the funky things their bodies are doing as they age into their mid-20s.

Keep the appointment with your neuro, but calm your mind in the meantime.

Do you have any acid reflux or gerd issues? When my acid reflux is acting up I often find it difficult to swallow...like I have to swallow several times carefully for food to go down. I also yawn alot and have the sensation I can't yawn deep enough to get enough air into my lungs. When my anxiety level is up...my acid reflux causes terrible symptoms despite taking medium 2x daily

Willy go and read the sticky post at the top of this forum.

You are only to post on your own Do I have ALS thread, not on other people's. Please make sure you stick to your own thread where you have been clearly answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back