Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but why isn't there any research being done on destroying the immune system and then recreating it using stem cells as a cure?

I've read that they have done this for patients with multiple sclerosis, which is also an autoimmune disorder. Essentially they kill off all immune cells and transplant healthy stem cells simultaneously so in theory it should give you a brand new immune system which would not attack your own cells this time.

Any thoughts?

ALS is not an autoimmune disease. If it were it would respond to some of the drugs that are already out there.

I’m sure others will comment...
To my knowledge, ALS has not been show to be an autoimmune disorder. So while there is stem cell research going on, it’s an entirely different disease mechanism than, say, MS.

Kim, you and I are on a roll today, responding to different posts at roughly the same time. Great minds think alike :)

Hi Quan, can you introduce yourself? What is your connection with ALS/MND?

Karen, I was thinking the same thing.

My mother got diagnosed with ALS 2 years back and I'm just trying to find any possible treatments by doing research online.

I didn't realize ALS wasn't an autoimmune disease. For some reason I thought it was similar to Multiple Sclerosis.

ALS is a neurodegenerative disease, not autoimmune. It’s actually more similar to Parkinsons or Alzheimer’s, but involving another part of the brain. A cure for AD or PD might also be a cure for ALS.

... I'm just trying to find any possible treatments by doing research online.

I didn't realize ALS wasn't an autoimmune disease. .. .

I'd be very concerned about your research, if that's the case. Very.

Sorry, I'm just starting out in learning about this disease. I'm interested in some of the possible treatments on the horizon though, such as the stem cell therapy from NurOwn. I believe it could buy some extra time till there is a cure for ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back