Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Mississippi
City
Ocean springs
Hello, I'm 17 years old and over the past couple of days I have been experiencing muscle spasms in both my legs but only when I sit and lay down and sometimes my arms, I also rarely get them in my side and butt, I don't really feel weak in my muscles but sometimes sore, sometimes after I walk around or stand for a long period of time my calves have a burning and tingling sensation. I'm pretty terrified at the moment because every tine i look up muscle spasms ALS comes up. I know im very young and my chances are low but its still a possibility. I would like other people's opinion, I'm not very active and don't get out much. I would like to know what's going on with me and would hope to find out what you guys think. I don't want to waste anyones time and don't want to offend anyone by posting this. Thank you for your time.

Good morning Zachary,

I certainly understand your fears and while there are some very rare cases of people your age contracting ALS I do not believe that this is the case according to what you have described. ALS does not cause spasms. Faciculations (small twitches) usually occurring in the arms and/or legs is what would be expected.

How much water are you drinking each day? it sounds more like a lack of hydration to me. 17 is awfully young, but you never know so see a Dr. asap. I'm confident your mind will be put at ease.

Good luck and God bless,

Tom

P. S.. The only stupid questions, are the ones that don't get asked.

Thank you, I have an appointment Friday, and I drink an ok amount of water, but only when I am at home, I usually drink two to three bottles a day. I'm just a bit worried.

What would you say the difference between muscle spasms and faciculations.

Well here is a generic description of a spasm,

Spasms can affect many different types of muscles in the body, leading to many different symptoms. Spasms of skeletal muscles are most common and are often due to overuse and muscle fatigue, dehydration, and electrolyte abnormalities. The spasm occurs abruptly, is painful, and is usually short-lived.

faciculations On the other hand, tend to be localized twitching and are not painful, they are definitely not short-lived.

Hope that helps,

Tom

So in my calves it feels like there are little things moving under my skin and feels like they are pulling only lasting for like one second each and then moves to another spot or stays in the same spot until it moves. What do you think that would be?

I also get them in my thighs sometimes

What do you mean by short lived?

Take some deep breaths, try to remain calm while you wait to see the doc.
In the meantime try to make sure you are drinking at least 48 to 72 ounces of water each day. I don't know where you are located but if it's hot there you can lose a lot of water via sweat.

Tom

Ok, is it possible to get these symptoms suddenly or does it take longer than a couple of days, and does the weakness come first or the faciculations?

Zachary,
This is not a good place for you to be. You do not describe ALS symptoms. Not even a little bit. Go see your doc, that's the first step. You really should refrain from posting here until after you see a doctor. Continuing to post just fuels your anxiety.
Best wishes.
Tracy

Afraid I have to agree with Tracy,

You're really getting yourself wound up. Find something to occupy yourself with until after you see your doctor, I think you'll start to feel better.

Tom

P. S. Short--lived needs just that,, goes away over short period of time

Thanks, and I'll try to inform you of how my appointment goes on friday

Hello, I went to the doctor and I'm still left feeling unsatisfied, she didn't really help with answers, she just told me to take vitamins even tho my levels are normal. My calves still fasciculate and have spasms. I've been drinking allot of water lately, when should I start worrying?

Hello, I went to the doctor and I'm still left feeling unsatisfied, she didn't really help with answers, she just told me to take vitamins even tho my levels are normal. My calves still fasciculate and have spasms. I've been drinking allot of water lately, when should I start worrying?

When should you start worrying?

How's about when you show ALS symptoms, which you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back