I’m terrified and feel like my life is falling apart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

avock26

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
QL
City
Brisbane
I am a 31 year old mother to two boys. After a particularly emotionally traumatic event in May, I suddenly developed a tremor that felt like it started in hands and became a full body tremor.
soon after I developed fasiculations starting in one leg and spreading to full body which has been constant since then. I’ve now also developed odd muscle vibrations?
along with the tremor the following has occurred over the past 6 months:

- tremor

- muscle and joint pain ( sore fingers and hands, feet, knees)

- blurred vision - this has decreased now

- muscle twitching and spasms over the whole body

- fatigue

- new onset of numbness in fingers and intermittent pins and needles. Feeling of stiff thumbs and pinky fingers

- intermittent burning in soles of feet - this has now decreased.

- intermittent dizziness / feeling in a dream state. This has decreased.

- unsteady feeling

- weak feeling in my whole body. This is worse the past few weeks. My core feels shakey, full of tremors.

- although fatigued I seem to have some insomnia

- heartburn, sharp pains in my back between shoulder blades that takes my breath away

- Back pain. this has increased the past week with a sore back and neck. Not relieved by massage.
- noticeable veins on hands and feet
- weak knees and muscle loss around them and at the bottom of thighs near my knees
- I’ve noticed some slurring at times during the day then I don’t seem to be affected the next.
- burning pain in the left shoulder, especially when using that arm. Some in the right and forearm area but left shoulder is the most obvious.
- recurrent tightenings in the right calf.
- sore jaw muscles on and off with a feeling of numbness on my chin.

I saw a Neuro in July and he performed and nerve conduction on my arms and an EMG on arms and legs. EMG was clean.
Only bloods out of range were slightly low B12 and lower end of normal Vit D. Past exposure to Parvovirus.

im terrified and have lived the last 7 months convinced I have MND. I am going back to the Neuro in Feb for a repeat EMG - my request.

my GP has given my Cymbalta for anxiety and depression as I told him I’m sure I am suffering from that at the moment.

Can I ask for opinions please ?
I am so distressed...

Your story in no way resembles MND, nor of course does your clean EMG support it. If you need counseling to come to terms with the trauma you mention, Cymbalta is no substitute . Also note it can cause some of the issues you describe, including insomnia, but it's also a drug that you don't want to abruptly end, but rather to taper. Still, if it's doing you good...also of note, anxiety and/or depression can lead to the perceptions of problems in themselves. They're like a magnifying glass for any niggles you might ordinarily slough off.

Low-dose supplementation with vit D and B12 can likely do no harm; blood tests don't show it all. You can consult with your GP.

So you've a lot to work on, but the good news is, you're in the wrong place here.

Best,
Laurie

Apologies, I tried to edit after I posted but can’t figure that out..
I also have sore abdominal muscles, apparent muscles loss that’s widespread including legs, arms.
Also have weak legs - often feeling that they will give way.

Still not ALS. Read Laurie’s reply again.

Not ALS. Good luck to you.

Your story in no way resembles MND, nor of course does your clean EMG support it. If you need counseling to come to terms with the trauma you mention, Cymbalta is no substitute . Also note it can cause some of the issues you describe, including insomnia, but it's also a drug that you don't want to abruptly end, but rather to taper. Still, if it's doing you good...also of note, anxiety and/or depression can lead to the perceptions of problems in themselves. They're like a magnifying glass for any niggles you might ordinarily slough off.

Low-dose supplementation with vit D and B12 can likely do no harm; blood tests don't show it all. You can consult with your GP.

So you've a lot to work on, but the good news is, you're in the wrong place here.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for Laurie for your time and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back