Not open for further replies.

PeacoatBlues

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hello, let me first state that this isn't something I would normally do, and I have the utmost respect for all the people on this site. In fact, I almost feel like I am invading simply by being here. But its the same usual story of nasty Doctor Google giving me faulty information, but I do have a terrible anxiety disorder, and this has led me here.

I just turned 26 years old. I have booked a doctor's appointment for next week out of panic.

I will explain the symptoms that are causing me alarm.

Slight body jerking... Not fasiculations as I am aware. Lately I have been in the process of moving house, so this happened rather suddenly. The anxiety I am under lately is extreme. Now when I lay down at night I feel these small jerky movements all over my body and they keep me awake and make me panic. They are ever so slight, sort of like popcorn popping, small jerky motions. My hips will do it, my torso, my head and neck. I will try to lie still and then I will jolt again slightly. It frightens me, and the more I notice them the more I seem to do. This is my key symptom. In fact, I didn't sleep at all last night because of my anxious reaction to these jolts.

Other things that concern me, though I am aware they may sound silly.

Two years ago I developed a sudden foot drop after drinking alcohol. I got very drunk and slept in a weird position and so I had foot drop, couldnt lift my right foot at all. It took about three or for weeks, but it completely went on its own. I haven't had any other problems like this since. The fact it healed reassures me, and my rational mind tells me this was simply a compressed nerve.

One morning about a month ago I did have a muscle twitch on my left bicep. It was strong enough that I looked at it and could see it spasming. At the time I thought nothing of it, now though with this new found anxiety it has caused me to wonder what it could mean. Also last night I had a few much smaller ones, one on my foot and one on my neck.

For 3 weeks now I have also had a bad pain on the left side of my neck, at the back. I had a physio check it and she assured me its muscular, but still my irrational mind cant help but form connections.

Sometimes if I sit down and extend my leg out in front of me my foot will start to spasm somewhat. This is also alarming me and a doctor actually saw it once but didnt mention it. Just said it was strange and, me not being worried back then about these things, it never crossed my mind to investigate further.

Finally, my eyes go a little weird sometimes. They get a little bit blurry and if I look at a light it takes a while for the imprint of the light to leave my vision.

There. I think that is everything. I have tried to be thorough, and I cannot imagine how annoying it must be to see posts like mine, but I really did feel at my wits end and thought perhaps this would be a good thing to do.

What do you think?

There is no reason to suspect ALS or anything like it, but I would double down on whatever you're doing to address your anxiety, as that is what has led you here, with an unfounded fear that is probably affecting other areas of your life.

Instead of basically apologizing for being here, honor the physical health you have, that PALS don't, by taking full advantage of it. The only way that will happen is by addressing your mental health.

I deleted your photo because it would be distressing for some, and it is not helpful. No one will have concerns for anything going by that picture.

When you see the doc and describe the jerking that you have lying down, ask about a sleep study. You might have a treatable movement disorder, or it could be your anxiety affecting the movement. Anxiety feeds on itself and magnifies niggles.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie I really appreciate your reply. I have an appointment with a doctor and one with a psychiatrist too, to get my anxiety under control.

I have one more question. I have developed quite a strong tremor in the fingers of my hands. It's not there when they are relaxed, but when I bend my fingers it is there, and its very pronounced. My last question here is, are tremors aassociated with ALS at all? I read the sticky but couldn't find the answer. I am quite anxious about the tremor.

After this post, you can lock my thread and I will not return to it.

The reason you couldn't find mention of tremors is that they are not part of the spectrum of symptoms that come with ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back