00/0000
Country
US
State
IA
City
Des Moines
Hi, and early Merry Christmas.
I’m here on Christmas Eve freaking out because I went to the doctor today for what I thought was a pinched nerve in my right shoulder causing me pain and right arm weakness. I still have function in my arm I guess. Like I can still use my arm but it fatigues and it just feels like i’ve really worked it out. So, anyways, the doctor did say I have a positive Hoffman’s sign in that same arm. I’m so freaked out bc i read where that means ALS. She gave me Prednisone to see if it’d help and did lot of blood test and i have to see her in two weeks. If not better i have to get the muscle test. I’m sorry, but it’s going to be so hard to enjoy Christmas with my weak arm and having the thought i have ALS in my mind. I’m really freaking out now. Any help from you guys our advice? Anyone ever diagnosed by having a weak arm or positive Hoffman’s? Thanks so much in advanced.

From the medical literature:
"A positive Hoffman sign can be indicative of an upper motor neuron lesion and corticospinal pathway dysfunction likely due to cervical cord compression. However, up to 3% of the population has been found to have a positive Hoffman without cord compression or upper motor neuron disease."

As you can see, no one should freak out bc of a positive Hoffman. A frozen shoulder, impingement, or other localized injury or condition is thousands of times more likely than ALS, which, as you will have read, does not cause pain.

Let me put it this way -- with or without a positive Hoffman, your story would typically not give us concern. I would ask to be referred to an orthopedist if your condition does not improve.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you, she did say only my index finger moved just slightly, so maybe it was how nervous i am. I just wish i didn’t feel so weak in my arm. I don’t mind the pain so much, as the weakness bc ive been reading nothing but how weakness means ALS. I wish google could better explain what ALS weakness feels compared to other causes of weakness or if there’s even a difference between the two.

Closed for multi. Please get help for your anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back