Status
Not open for further replies.
Great decision to help her maintain her independence! I cared for my mom (not ALS related) in my home and later at her home. It was beyond stressful.

Hope her house sells soon.

Hi everyone.....short update. Monday March 21st we participated in the Houston ALS Chapter Golf Tournament Fundraiser and they raised over $16K! It was great fun, a beautiful day and we met some lovely people. We have set-up an in -home appointment with the Houston ALS Chapter the week that my Mom is here....we have her first appointment at the ALS clinic at Baylor, an appointment with an elder care attorney and also need to visit all the places we have short-listed for her to love once she moves here. seems like from the "logistical" side of things; there is not much more we can do right now. Thank God for the ALS Houston Association! I was very very frustrated when i could not get a hold of them for a few weeks but I finally met up with them at the golf tournament.......unfortunately they have been very busy but fortunately they are here to help those who need them.

Well that was the good news......frustrating news is mom is starting to be nasty, mean and then go 180 degrees into a sobbing mess who is threatening to end her life.

she is still determined to drive her from Indiana despite her neck, hand and leg mobility issues and despite the many many pleas from my brother and I as well as her friends. She states she cannot handle flying but she can drive fine....my hands are tied.

I have not spoken to my mom in a few days because of the horrible way she has treated me and the things that she has said to me and I am trying to let them go and move past them and be compassionate about why she is lashing out but that does not lessen the hurt or pain.

My God-Mother is coming to stay with us while she is here so that she can help my Mom dress and get around but Mom is now being mean to her in an attempt to get her to stay in a hotel. I told my Mom that i will not tell my God-Mother that she cannot stay at my house with us and that just caused a huge fight between us.

I feel guilty that I am so angry and hurt by my mom's actions and words but at the same time the excuse she is now using "she is one dying" is not a justification for being so mean to the few people that are helping her.

Ugh. I am nervous to see her in person but I will also be relieved to see her in person so I can truly see what she can and can't do in person.

Well thanks for listening

Get yourself a notebook and start writing down questions for the clinic appointment. Then bring the book with you, and write down the answers to the questions. (Our neuro at one point took my notebook and actually drew a diagram of how ALS works. I still have that drawing!) Mention the mood swings to the doctor. It is not unusual for PALS to suffer from depression.. mild all the way to quite severe. This can be helped with medication, which will make life a little smoother for all of you. Good luck.

Good idea to get a notebook to keep track of things because I know in my mind I think I can keep everything straight but lately I forget what I did ten minutes ago! thank you for the suggestion.

Hello, first my heart goes out to you an dyour family for having to endure this hardship. The best advice I can give you is to take a deep breath and slow down. I know your propbably going through alot, your frustrating, hurtin gand it seems like all the burden is being put on you. If your going to help your mom, you got to remain calm, do one thing at a time. I too amm going throgh the same thing with my fiance. I'm in the process of trying to move him back to GA from TX and handle his fiances and whatever else. I get overwhelmed at times and if you need to cry then cry. I started doing yoga and that time of relaxation has helped. Find something constructive you can do in your down time to keep you focused and at peace. I also started going back to church, sometimes we need that spiritual guidance. this is a time to bring you and your mom closer together. good luck to both of you

I am the oldest of three children, all the responsibly lay all on my shoulder. I am sure its because my father found me to be the best person for the job. The other two children did not spend much time with him at all. I also had to handle the abuse, tears and frustration of them not coming to see him.

tried to get them to see him and even try to help him to give me a break but nothing helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back