Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
BR
State
PE
City
Recife
Hi guys. First of all, I apologize for my English.

Two months ago, I started experiencing spasms in my left biceps. A few days later, my left leg had pain and cramps. I went to a neurologist who, on clinical examination, identified signs of anxiety and ordered MRI scans of the skull (which showed no abnormalities in the brain), blood tests (including CPK and VDRL, all normal) and a polysomnography (which has not yet had the report issued, which is why I have not yet returned to the doctor).

I am very apprehensive, because I know my body and I know that something is not normal. I realize that I don't have the patience to perform tasks that require manual skills, such as cooking. That's because when I stand for more than 15 minutes doing tasks like this, my legs become very stiff and then take hours to relax.

On the other hand, after two months of the symptoms, I have been going to the gym and I do not notice weakness or loss of strength in the limbs. I continue to use the same load as always on the equipment.

Currently the biceps spasms have disappeared; but I feel cramps, sporadic stiffness and tingling in my legs, feet and hands. This causes me discomfort especially at bedtime.

Last night there was another symptom that terrified me and I almost went to the hospital. Minutes after falling asleep, I woke up suddenly feeling chills all over my body. The pressure monitor indicated 16x11. While I was getting ready to go to the hospital, the chills were disappearing and I gave up on going. But I didn't sleep well, waking up several times during the night with a lot of discomfort in my legs.

My family say that all of this is anxiety, but I don't think it's normal to feel my legs stiff when I stand for more than 15 minutes inside my own home. Or feel cramps and tingling during most of the day and night.

Please, I wanted an opinion if this could be ALS. With the progression of these symptoms described in these two months, but still without loss of strength or weakness in the limbs.

it’s NOT ALS.

You could ask about imaging of your spine; there could be nerve damage there that might explain your symptoms. I agree that this does not sound like ALS or anything like it. Not sure what you mean by "pressure monitor indicated 16x11."

Sorry for my English. The Google translator helps me to write.

I meant that I used a "wrist blood pressure monitor" right after this episode of waking up with chills all over my body and it indicated that my blood pressure was at 16x11. That worried me because I thought it might be a sign of hyperreflexia. Or maybe it was a panic attack that resulted from so much anxiety and concerns accumulated.

16x11 is not a blood pressure reading in any system I know. But anyway blood pressure has nothing to do with hyperreflexia nor do chills. Agree nothing sounds like ALS at all

good luck. Talk to your doctor about your worries but ALS is off the table

Here in my country it is common to hide the last digit of the blood pressure measurement.

So in my specific case, 16/11 would mean 160/110.

Anyway, thank you all for helping me.

No, ALS per se wouldn't elevate your blood pressure like that. The PSG you had may shed more light about whether you have a movement disorder during sleep, which could contribute to what you describe even during the day.

The good news is, you're in the wrong place here. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back