Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
BEDFORDSHIRE
City
BEDFORD
Hi everyone

l would like to say firstly im really sorry that l am having to post my situation here knowing the amount of pain and stress that most are going through, l have read the stickies time and time again but now just cant help myself:(

A few weeks ago l was experiencing pain in joints, ankles and arms and feeling muscle twiches, yes l very foolishly went on GOOGLE and the rest is history as they say. l went to my local GP who felt it was not serious and ordered blood tests for thyroid (came back negative) he said to stop going on net and calm down.

Over the next week or so l very studpidly again went on the net and learnt about Bulbar onset, within a day or so l suddenly started to experience swallowing issues, speech going all over the place, keep looking at my tongue for twiches and just very aware of all mouth movements.

l then was feeling the same pain in my joints, so l went to local clinic, they checked me over and Doctor again said stop worrying and stay off the net. At this point now im really feeling low due to the tongue, mouth and speech becoming an issue ( well to me anyway), l then decided to go private and seek a Neurologist. As soon as l saw him he read me like a very bad book, checked me over during a clinical exam and said " YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS ILLNESS" l mentioned about a EMG test and he laughed at me to say, if l felt you warranted one l would have.

Im sorry for this sad post to which lm sure l will be told where to go, family life has been very tough due to my antics, and even though l have had 4 GPs and a Neurologist tell me there is nothing wrong, why do l feel there is still a issue with my speech, tongue, croaky voice hear and there?

could it be that l need help with anxiety??

Again let me apologise in advance for this self worrying behaviour.

Mark:|

4 gps and a neurologist have told you no. Now you are asking strangers on the internet to diagnose you. I'd say anxiety.
Vincent

Vincent, thank you very much, I know l sound very stupid and that l have had medical experts look at me, I just can't understand what is happening with my mouth business? I mean can anxiety cause you to think you are slurring words, odd movements in the tongue, I can only say sorry for my pathetic attitude.

Mark

Hi
Your best course would be to go back to your doctor and ask them for help with your health anxiety, being here will make that worse.
Wendy

#1 reasons for slurring and croaking are fatigue/lack of sleep and dryness in well...dry, cold weather. Drink, sleep and be reassured. Get help for anxiety if you need it, for sure.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks guys, l need to address the anxiety first and try to get back to how l was

Why can't I convince myself??

I would like to thank the good folk on here for at least making me believe in myself again, over the last few weeks l have found myself convinced l have ALS, due to reading symptoms and suddenly developing them, I have had the benefit of 5 medical professionals including a experienced Neurologist look at me and say no, I have to accept that the issues l am experiencing in my throat and perceived speech is all down to ANXIETY and constantly being hypervigilant on my body movements.

I need to address my anxiety and I am forever indebted to you guys on here.

Mark

Had a EMG

Morning/ Afternoon guys,

I have been having a few issues of late where I have been experiencing muscle pain, twitches, perceived speech and anxiety related. I was reassured by 4 GPs and a Neurologist who said my clinical exams were normal and it is all anxiety based. I then went and saw a another Neurologist who said normal clinical exam, but to be sure l can have a EMG/NCV test just to be sure. I had this done and he said it was a normal study, l at that point said about my speech and tongue and he then put needle in my chin and said it was normal.

I know guys you are constantly bombarded with similar stories and please l don't want to upset or offend anyone, I very much value your input and thoughts. Must it be that during the last few weeks that I was convinced that I was slurring my speech that I still find it still happening? I mean because my mind was absolutely fixed on this for some stupid reason I still remain anxious, my GP said that because you focused on your speech you are adamant that you are.

Would anything have come up on the test in the chin area?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, seems like anxiety has come over hard!!

Re: Had a EMG

It sounds like anxiety to me and the words you use, 'pain', 'perceived', 'reassured' 'normal' point away from ALS. You are anxious and should seek help for that issue but in the mean time no need to worry about a fatal disease.

Thanks Christine, it's just l have seen lately people having had EMG tests and after getting clear and normal, they then start to to say they have other areas that we're not done and if the test missed out.

I realise that I must address my health anxiety real quick.

Mark

Yes something would have come up on the test in the chin area. I had my emgs in summer 2015 and spring 2016 both emgs showed abnormalities in the bulbar region. At the time I had no symptoms in that area at all. I am only just starting now to get very mild symptoms in that area. EMG tests can show problems long before you notice physical symptoms.

Now in the interests of your mental health, please try to stay away from this site. It is not at all good for you to be here. Your doctors have said they don't think it's mnd, your clinical and physical tests show no indication of mnd, we have said it doesn't sound like our experience of mnd. But you are still anxious and fixated on it. Go back to your GP ask what they think it is honestly and trust the answer, if the answer is health anxiety then work will your doctor to get help for that, give any treatment be it counselling or medication adequate time to work. In the meantime avoid reading and researching things that will trigger your anxiety over mnd.

I wish you well

Wendy

Thanks Wendy, very sound advice wish you guys all the best.

Mark

Mod note- merged two threads. Please keep all posts on a single thread

Had EMG and NCS test this morning update

Morning all,

Just thought I would update on my situation, I had the EMG and NCS test this morning and was told it was a normal study examination. I told the Neurophysiologist about my concerns about bulbar and needled my chin, this was normal aswell.

My question is if one had speech issues, tongue weakness, would the EMG show up any abnormalities?

I have been told that a EMG can pick up issues long before any symptoms are showing, is this correct?

Thanks

Mark

Re: Had EMG and NCS test this morning update

My PALS has bulbar onset. His speech was slurred. His first EMG was abnormal. He has ALS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back