Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ma
City
Boston
Hello all, I've been reading the forums for the last 3 months, I've never seen so many scared and wonderful people, the compassion pals have for people who think they have als is astounding! There are Incredibly brave people on this forum!

I started having issues with my right hand 3 months ago, my thumb would close into my palm on its own, then came perceived weakness with a strange numbing running up my arm!

One week later, the fasciculations started in both calves, 24/7 non stop for the last 3 months, with a thightness that has disappeared, but the fasculations spread, above the left knee, on the left knee, left hip, right bicep, stomach, ears and left eye, but the calves are non stop!

One evening about a month in, I found pain in both arms, started from forearms and spread to above my neck, around my teeth, that along with everything else scared the life out of me!

I took the next month off work, i come under a lot of pressure at work, I'm a carpenter and expected to make deadlines, I just couldn't function, I was a mess, crying when alone, I felt something bad was happening, I feared for my wife and child!

My doctor prescribed me anti anexity medication, I could barley talk I was so upset, he seen no clinical weakness, but agreed to have and emg 6 weeks in! In the meantime I seen 2 neurologists at mass general, who seen the fasculations and a quiver in my tongue, they did a physical, strength tests, reflexes, both said the symptoms will go away!

I then saw two neurologists at bringham and womens, who did the same work up, strength, reflexes, both said it most likely bfs! The emg was performed at Harvard vanguard, the neurologist spent 45 mins doing the test, she seen 2 fasciculations, but said no als! All blood work and is clean!

I'm sorry this is a long post, I just can't shake this feeling of als, everyday, my work suffers from it, I can't seem to operate! Today while at work I fell down some steps when rushing, again the fear struck me, could they have missed something! I've read pals on here who had fasciculations first, and multiple Clean emgs only to be diagnosed at a later date! This fear is killing me, I don't know what to do!

Current symtoms: calf fasciculations 24/7
Tiredness
Strong jerks while sleeping
Buzzing in legs,
Should I go back for another emg? I'm sorry if I wasted people's time reading this, I know time is so valuable, I'm just so lost right now

5 neurologists? 2 at MGH 2 at Brigham clean EMG. Symptoms twitches jerks fatigue and buzzing. The first three are incredibly common and non specific. The buzzing is not something I read about with PALS but is very common here on DIHALS and among bfsers. You went to MGH. People come to see their neurologists from all over the world they are the best. Brigham is their sister hospital they are also top in their field. If all these people cleared you go back to your pcp and ask for help with anxiety. The anxiety is only making you twitch more. Truly if any of those doctors had an inkling something was wrong they would have told you. I go to MGH I know how brilliant they are

Last edited:
Jimmy, you've heard it from Nikki, and you won't hear anything any differently from anyone else here. Relax--seriously. Fortunately, you don't belong here. Stop reading about ALS and deal with your stress. Best of luck to you.

I very much appreciate the response Nikki J, since all this stared I've become so aware of als, I've set up monthly donations to MGH for als treatments, this has just took control of me, constantly comparing body parts for atrophy, stress from work and being the only provider, I'm sorry I will take your advice, I'm truly sorry that you have als!

And thank you Nuts for your reply, I will try, I just wish I could do some good for people who have to suffer through this, what I've felt the last few months, has just changed me physically and emotionally!

That is awesome you are giving Jimmy. I just heard today right now for the next month the mghcureals fund has a matching grant going! They do such good work and are very open about what they use donations for
Good luck with healing your anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back