Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Maine
City
Augusta
My Mom was just diagnosed with ALS three days ago. She is 75. She was mis-diagnosed as having PLS and Post-Polio Syndrome. As it turns out, ALS has been plauging her for about a year, and only now are we getting confirmation on this. The entire family is reeling from this diagnosis.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself as I lurk around the forums and try to learn as much as I can. Knowledge is power. Thanks for being here, folks. God Bless!

Sorry about your mom, Tuesday. I hope you will find lots of support here. Check out the Caregivers section of the forum.

Hi Tuesday, so sorry to here about your mom, you are smart to educate yourself. Welcome to the family where you will find lots of support. Ask all the questions you may have, someone may beable to answer them. {Hug}

Welcome to the forum family, sad that you have to be here, but glad you found us.

Welcome, sorry you have to be here!

Jen

Welcome Tuesday. So sorry about your Mom. So many great and knowlegable people here. Ask all of the questions you may have.

Welcome Tuesday, sorry to hear about your Mom. I just joined this forum a few months ago after I was diagnosed with PLS. You will find that the people here are very helpful with any questions you might have, no matter how silly they may seem, just ask.

Hi Tuesday.. My situation is much the same as yours. My 78 year old father was diagnosed a few months ago, but has been struggling with it for nearly a year. So very sorry you have to be here, but the folks on this forum have a wealth of information and experience and hearts of gold.

So sorry you needed to join us. Welcome aboard.

Welcome but sorry about your mom. Hope we can help.

AL.

Welcome, Tuesday.

You now have increased your family size. So sorry about your moms diagnosis. Someone mentioned asking questions. Ask, ask and ask some more. 9.9 times out of 10 someone has experienced it and has a solution. Also, make good use of the ALS and M D A loaner closets. The ALSA Rep will be your new best friend. And start the process for a pwc now. I've been waiting way over +6 months for mine. Some have opted to borrow from the closet, unfortunately, ours was bare or I would be on the road again. Also, they said its rare they ever get one in to fit shorter people. I know where mine is going when I'm done with it. I also have a pwc designed more for a paraplegic. Just needs a new battery. Looks brand new!

When life settles down some, please check out the other section of the for um. We have a rant, whine, a pub, other, birthdays and Tea. We also have a Wonderful Christian thread. It contains daily devotions, discussions, prayers, psalms and songs. I think of it as my new church home. And I get to read it on my schedule!

So, again I say I'm sorry you are here but sure glad you found us!

I forgot to ask, when you went to Clin ic did you ask about any of the drug trials that are ongoing?

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. It is greatly appreciated.

Toto: There has been no mention of drug trials as of yet. Is this something we should talk to my Moms neurologist about asap? Right now she is only on Baclofen. I'm hearing alot about Riluzole. Shouldn't that, too, be on board? Is there a stage of ALS where it is deemed "too late" to garner benefit from any of these medications?

Again, many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back