ScaredyCatMatt

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Good morning all,

im hear searching for help hoping that im beating myself up for no reason. A little about me, 39 year old male, husband, father of two little ones, generally healthy, will admit that ive battled health anxiety in the past. i have read the stickys and cruised through the forums for some time now. i want to tell myself its mental but the symptoms are there and very real.

Started a few weeks ago i woke up and legs felt off. not like heavy or something just like they were over worked even tho i just sat on my butt the day before. later that night me and the wife watching a movie and my right thigh starts going nuts. twitching it happens to everyone. cruised google for a minute and realized what ive done. tried to ignore it but it was just so persistent. fast forward a few weeks maybe a month and my symptom's are as followed

widespread twitching( mostly quick little twitches all over that subside very quickly) sometimes it will kick a limb out a little.

calf cramping on both calves. i would call it mild cramping

twitching on right thigh has left and moved to my right calf. feels like popping popcorn in there. right side calf cramping is worse and more constant than left side.

i have no clinical weakness that ive noticed.

been dropping things(but ive always been clumsy and uncoordinated)

the last symptom that made me post here is this morning i woke up and on my right 2 fingers were curled down on there own and took me a moment to get them back to normal. they feel fine now.

i went to my GP monday and talked to him and he prescribe me anti inflammatory and muscle relaxer. i brought up ALS and he ignored it. would not refer me to a nuero. i just cant shake this and im out of tune with my family because this is non stop on my mind. any opinions or help on this is greatly appreciated. im sorry to bug all of yall that have real problems to try and help me.

Hello-

Please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting It contains answers to many of the questions that bring people here.

If your GP doesn't see anything and refuses to send you to a neuro, that's a pretty big sign you don't show anything that would be a concern for ALS. If worry about ALS is affecting your day to day activities and your ability to connect with the people around you, it might be time to address that worry.

You could definitely return to your physician to speak again with them about your concerns and let them know how badly this is affecting you. You could also seek to address the physical issues themselves by seeing a physiotherapist for a postural assessment to see if there is a strength or structural imbalance causing issues.

Please take care

thanks for the quick reply, i did read that section a few days ago and was trying to put it behind me. the 2 fingers being curled over this morning scared me today. keep thinking thats the spasticity of this disease.

I had a finger only yesterday that bent to one side until I moved it around for a minute-- likely holding my phone while reading or carrying a package.

Often upping your electrolyte/hydration balance can be helpful.

ALS is a very rare cause of spasticity, and curling that reverses with ease is not spasticity.

Is spasticity the same thing as always feeling like i need to stretch? for a couple weeks when in bed I get the urge to stretch alot.
Sometimes ill stretch so much my left leg shakes like crazy.

Nope. Maybe return to your doctor to talk to them about this. Spasticity is a pretty specific set of responses and your doctor did not see that pattern but perhaps can help you with what sounds like RLS.

Matt, perhaps you might also benefit from seeing a physiotherapist. You can ask them about how your muscles are doing. Spasticity can only be assessed by medical professionals and not assumed because you feel a certain way. Please don't focus on a condition your doctor has reassured you that you do not have.

saw a nuerologist yesterday, i copied from his notes

Motor Upper Extremities: Normal- manual muscle strength testing is normal at the deltoids, biceps, triceps, wrist extensors, and grip bilaterally. Muscle tone and bulk are normal.; pronator drift is not present.; arm fixation is not present.

Motor Lower Extremities: Normal- manual muscle strength testing is normal at the hip flexors, knee extensors, knee flexors, dorsiflexion and plantarflexion. Normal muscle tone and bulk.

Reflexes Upper Extremities: Normal- deep tendon reflexes are grade 2+ at the biceps, triceps and brachioradialis reflexes bilaterally.

Reflexes Lower Extremities: Normal- clonus is absent bilaterally.; Abnormal; left Patellar Reflex: 2+: Normal; right Patellar Reflex: 2+: Normal; left Ankle Reflex: 3+: Brisk; right Ankle Reflex: 3+: Brisk

Sensory Upper Extremities: Normal- sensory examination is intact to light touch and temperature. bilaterally.

Sensory Lower Extremities: Normal- temperature is intact bilaterally.; Abnormal:; vibration sense is diminished at the toes bilaterally.

so i have brisk reflexes with abnormal left patellar reflex. and a abnormal vibration sense at toes bilaterally

he didnt offer a EMG. he did send me for alot of bloodwork tho. he said gait is normal but i do sway one way too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is abnormal about left patellar reflex of 2+?? Decreased vibratory sense in toes ( or anywhere) has nothing to do with ALS. If you have the exam notes you also must have the neurologist’s assessment

you specifically do not have spasticity

Yes, it said neuropathy vs myopathy. I do have a question, before a limb suddenly stops working is there a signal that it’s dead? Like a bad cramp or spasm then after that it’s gone. I’ve been trying to put this behind me. Was doing fairly well doing that. Took my family on a beach vacation and walking back to car my middle toe locked up. Some sort of spasm or cramp like I’ve never had. I’ve had the typical foot cramp this was just the 1 toe. And I’ve noticed now I can’t fan my toes on that side. And that when I move my toes up and down the other 4 will move first then they will bring that one with it. There is no power behind that toe.

Hey there- if your doctor did not see any signs of central nervous system impairment, you're looking at something else- which was clearly stated by the neurologist and supported by your exam. So any questions you ask about ALS symptoms would not apply to what you are experiencing- your symptoms are not caused by the same processes that affect those with ALS. It would be like asking how a cough caused by lung cancer felt and trying to apply it to a respiratory tract infection.

If you have further questions about your symptoms, best you speak with the person who examined you and who you are still under the care of- your neuro. You fear ALS, but everything you have stated, and the findings of your neuro, point in an entirely different direction.

Please take care.

A podiatrist is the best person to evaluate your toes.

I really do appreciate the time you take to answer my questions that I know seem kinda crazy. The dr does not know of the toe problem as it just happened. It just feels kinda dead. After a terrible spasm suddenly. I’m scared that it is clinical weakness before foot drop. I have an appointment in a month.

No, it's not drop foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back