Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Nevada
City
Reno
I really thought I was alright for a while, until a couple of days ago. The twitching died down a little when I 'got over' my fears of ALS. I noticed, the past couple of days, when I try to climb up stairs, or jog, skip etc. my legs (mainly my left) feel extremely heavy, and almost impossible for me to move. Then, after I get up the stairs, I feel like I have just ran a mile. Now, the past few days have been mostly sitting due to school work. I just can't get over this one. I read another user's post on here that described exactly what I have, and they got diagnosed. (Twitching, then leg weakness). The weak feeling in my arms, fists has gotten better since then, but my legs feel pretty bad. Thanks for any input, hopefully you guys can put my mind at ease once again. :)

The last thing I want to do is waste any of your guys' time. I have the utmost respect for all you who have been diagnosed/ know someone who has been diagnosed with this most humbling disease. I am not simply coming here for peace of mind, but to know if it is even rational to consider the thought that I may have ALS. At 16, I know you will all find it hard to believe, but my symptoms are all too real. I'm just... Not ready to die - I feel like my life hasn't even begun. :/

But Terminal, you are wasting our time. Twi tch ing is NOT in the forefront of this di sease. I believe that has been explained to you. You also said your arms and fists have gotten better. This NEVER happens with ALS. Symp toms only get worse.

And NO, its IRRATIONAL for you to even have a thought in that head of yours.

NO, you're not going to die (With ALS) and YES, your life HAS just begun.

So, now do us a favor and turn off the D@RN computer, and go live your life. Do what other 16 year olds do. And talk to your mother again about getting some professional help. This anxiety of yours is not healthy.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much, Dorothy.
This health anxiety is to the point where I'm constantly contemplating suicide. My mother would never take me to a psychiatrist or anything of the sort. Thanks you for giving me my 2 days of content. God bless you, and you're all in my prayers.

Son, you need to reach out for help from someone that can provide it. Please call a suicide help line tonight or tomorrow call your GP yourself and make an appointment or please go speak with a guidance counsellor at your school or a if you attend a church speak with your minister as soon as possible. The feelings you are having can not be dealt with here and I am concerned for you. Please, please get some help for yourself.

T,

I believe your Mother would rather pay for a shrink over visiting your grave any day. So many people just don't realize how permanent suicide is. I live in a small town and last week a neighbor buried her son in a private service due to suicide (he shot himself).

As Kiwi said, get help and get it now. You are more than just a statistic in the Book of Life.

There's an interesting saying about suicide--it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Your school will most certainly get you some help--especially if you're suicidal. I was a teacher--I know they will.

We can't say there is nothing wrong with you--but with symptoms that are getting better before new ones pop up, we can say with a certain degree of certainty that it's not ALS.

Please talk to your counselor if you can't talk to your parents.

Terminal, sorting out your mental state is obviously difficult for you, but please remember that many sixteen year olds consider committing suicide. It kind of goes with the whole hormonal roller coaster of adolescence and it tends to dramatically improve as those hormones settle down in their adult pattern.

Your health anxieties may well be connected to trying to navigate adolescence; it could be that you are trying to retain "childhood" where the burden of doing things is on the shoulders of adults rather than you. One way of doing that is to be 'ill' since being 'ill' means that others take care of you, rather than you taking care of yourself.

I think that in your heart of hearts you know that you don't have ALS, but you are on that hormonal roller coaster and it's hard. It does get better. Try the suggestions above about getting psychiatric help and bear in mind that, for example, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is recognised as an excellent treatments for mild to moderate depression and anxiety. You can even do it as a computer program which might make things easier with your mother.

Good luck!

Wow! I've been modded so the quick version is:

Adolescence sucks and the suggestions in the posts above about seeking help are good ones.

I agree, I would never want to be a teenager again, life in your 20s, 30s, 40s, and so on is so much better! Tell your Mom you need to talk, and if she still doesn't want to hear you, go to your school's guidance counselor or nurse. DO IT for yourself, life is too precious to waste another moment contemplating ending it. You have not even begun to live.

terminal....terminate terminal.....that forum name is an insult.....then again i think you know that....so be a good boy...if thats what you really are.....and change it.......johnny..

Johnny, spot on!

Kid, get off of this forum!

Johnny and Zaphoon,

I'm so glad you are stepping in! I feel certain Allen would have! Terminal, they are right. Get off of this forum. This is not the place for you. It is offensive that you keep coming back. As many others have suggested, call a suicide hotline. They are trained to help you. PALS and CALS are not. Their plates are pretty full right now. Don't add worrying about you to their list of concerns.

Missy,

"like"

"like"

Last edited:
Terminal...your name tells me a lot about you. You are 16 and most people your age feel "invincible" yet you have chosen to spend your time on a Forum about a untreatable illness and then call yourself "terminal" when you have no diagnosis and no real symptoms. I would be harder on you and question your audacity but the truth is I think you need help. Whether you are suffering from irrational anxiety, depression or any other condition that has gripped you into these unsubstantiated fears.

My advice to you (I am not a Dr., so this is just my personal opinion, not a medical one) is that you need to talk to your parents and perhaps a therapist about these concerns of death and and terminal illness. This is not normal.

I hope you get the help you need, but please show respect to the people on this forum who unwillingly and unfairly are forced to carry the moniker "terminal" but choose not to allow it to define them or to identify themselves by this fact.

Talk to your parents, a counselor, minister, Dr or someone else that can help you and do so quickly. Please leave this unfounded thoughts about ALS and this forum behind.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back