Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Albany
I posted 2 years ago. I will sum things up again. I need some support or advice.

March 2011
-Nerve pain in feet and hands developed when pregnant
-Had normal induced birth due to blood pressure rise
-Nerve pain continued and only happened with motion

January 2012
-Freaked out I had ALS or something similar. Severe anxiety started. I've always had health anxiety for about the past 8 years.
-Went to neuro. He ran all tests. Did nerve test and emg. All normal and the nerves performed better than normal according to him. Said peripheral neuropathy I guess just based on what I told him.
-Just dealt with things and tried to ignore it.
-The nerve pain in the hands and feet went away and/or substantially subsided.

November 2012
-My mom (52) went in the hospital for liver chorosis. I started having a buzzing sensation in both feet and calves that is constant. I still have this today. She passed away a few days after Christmas. Emotions have been horrible and anxiety very hightened ever since.

January 2013
-Yearly neuro checkup. All looked normal to him. MRI of brain done again. Normal. Told him about the buzzing/vibration and he wasn't concerned.

February 2014
-Shooting nerve pain in right foot when extended and twisted. Buzzing continues. Can feel it in my hands when I'm really worked up.

-Ankle pain in the same foot and nerve pain off and on.

I sleep terribly. Haven't slept 8 consecutive hours in 3 years.
-Went for neuro check up because my anxiety was so high. All was normal. Reflexes in knees overactive possibly from anxiety.

I'm having a VERY hard time accepting that I don't know what has caused the nerve pain from pregnancy. I constantly think this is ALS and I'm going to be taken away from my family and 2 year old daughter. Neuro said if it was something bad I would've had more symptoms by now.

Thoughts, advice, please?!? My worry about ALS has gone on for 2+ years and I can't stop.

Thank you for your time!

**The above was my post from February**

Since then I have noticed the buzzing and vibration is actual twitching in both feet and calves. I have also started to have crampong come and go.

PLEASE help! I'm beyond scared. My neuro won't see me anymore. I see a psychatrist and am working on my mentality and switching meds. I"m just at a loss.....

Please go back and read again Richard's reply to your first post. ALS is not a sensory issue. You have been to the neurologist. Don't you believe him?
If you REALLY believe there is something he missed get another opinion. Are you still seeing your psychiatrist? What does he/she say?
What you describe does not sound like ALS. In the time you have been worrying about this my sister went from fine to being a quadriplegic who can't speak or swallow. I read in your post all comments about nerve pain not progressive weakness which ultimately what ALS is all about.
I am sorry for your suffering. Please go to your pcp and your psychiatrist and tell them how miserable you are. You have a 2 yo child. You need to enjoy him/her not worry about a rare disease of which you do not have symptoms

Thanks for summing things up. I've looked into your prior posts and considered carefully each symptom you listed.
I don't see ANYTHING related in any way to ALS.

You're wise to keep consulting your mental health providers. Don't forget to list your concerns to your PCP.
Perhaps you're worried about ALS because so many other people without ALS tend to complain about cramps, tingling, and fasciculations.
They don't have ALS, either.

There's a good reason your neuro won't see you anymore. You don't have any ALS symptoms. Maybe you would do better by visiting an anxiety related website.

Thank you, Nikki.

The twitching put my over the edge. I do have things come and go. I need to remember it will stay and not go if it were truly ALS. I am sorry about your sister's condition. I feel insensitive for even reposting. Take care and God bless.

I have learned that it is not as uncommon as you may think that pregnancy causes peripheral neuropathies. Weight gain, fluid buildup and the general strain on the body can contrict the nerve passageways. This is normally resolved when the body heals and "goes back to what it was". The hormonal fluctuations can also sometimes lead to episodic neuralgia, which gives more of a shooting pain.

The fact that you are constantly in stress and sleeping badly is giving your body no chance to repair itself. It is very important for you to see a mental health professional to sort this out. Buzzing and tingling is a very common symptom of anxiety, and it might just be so, that the symptoms you had during your pregnancy are just lingering at this point because of all the stress you are experiencing.

And please, do not exacerbate your health anxiety by visiting MND-forums. At this point, there is absolutely nothing saying you have MND.

ALS does not cause pain. It does not affect the sensory nerves.
ALS symptoms do not go away or substantially subside.
Buzzing and vibrations are sensory symptoms that have more to do with anxiety than with ALS.
You do not have ALS.

You do have major anxiety issues. Keep seeing your psychiatrist and stop searching the internet for symptoms. All that happens when you do that is you get sent to the ALSForums because so many people who don’t have ALS have come here to ask about their non-ALS symptoms.

Dusty....Although I agree with your prognosis. .. i would urge caution in absolutes as in "you don't have....." give someone else the honor of a final diagnosis.

Media, I was only repeating what she says her neuro has told her in the past...

Jan 12-“Went to neuro. He ran all tests. Did nerve test and emg. All normal…”
Jan 13-“Yearly neuro checkup. All looked normal to him. MRI of brain done again. Normal. Told him about the buzzing/vibration and he wasn't concerned.”
Feb 14-“Went for neuro check up because my anxiety was so high. All was normal.”
May 14-“My neuro won't see me anymore.”

Since her neuro won't see her any more, I think the final diagnosis was his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back