Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
East stroudsburg
So I'm not going to pretend I know alot about Als. I know it's something I'm scared of, something I dont want to have.

However I have been experiencing nerve problems. Notably pain in both my arms, wrists and hands. Now I know it could be a lot of things, arthritis and carpul tunnel. I had an mri of my head back in 2016. It did show some disc in my neck were pressing on nerves.

My question is I guess, should I be worried I have Als with these symptoms? I'm 35, male, I use my hands alot for work. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make light of such a serious illness. I live in Pennsylvania and my medical insurance isnt the greatest.

So I'm hoping to find some relief in those more knowledgeable. I dont know what to make of it plus I suffer with pretty bad anxiety and depression both of which have been through the roof of late.

Thanks to any who are willing to help me out. Its greatly appreciated. Happy holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no reason for worry about ALS, but you may want to try to access a PT evaluation and/or an updated MRI to see where you are in terms of the spine problem.

And of course since anxiety and depression make pain worse, you may want to talk with your doc about better treatment for both. The DIY treatment is of course doing things that you enjoy -- hobbies, new places, walks, hanging with friends, etc. that take you outside your mind that is stuck in a rut.

Best,
Laurie

I'm scared and alone

Hey all. My name is Rich, I'm a 35 year old Male.
I know you probably see thousands of these types of messages on here, someone scared and alone and not sure. Let me start off by saying I have an appointment with a neurologist soon. However I suffer with terrible anxiety and I'm just looking for clarity and maybe some peace of mind from those who know.

In 2016 I had an mri of my head and neck. I was struggling with weird pains in my hands and forearms that felt like a weak sensation. And I will enclose the results here for transparency. My cervical cord is normal in caliber and signal intensity. There is generalized interspace desiccation.

Diffuse posterior disc bulge at c4-5 producing minimal spinal stenosis.
Disc osteophyte complex at c6-7
Moderate to severe foraminal narrowing bilaterally from c2-3 through c4-5
Additional foraminal narrowing seen at c6-7 and c7-t1
No abnormal enhancement of the cervical cord.

Mind you this was the results back in 2016. Lately the last two weeks I have dealt with headaches, pain in my hands, and in my feet. A heavy or weak feeling in my limbs and my vision has been blurred and my voice is somewhat hoarse. Now I have shown multiple doctors these results and most Just kind of scoffed at them as if it was nothing to be concerned about. However telling someone with anxiety to not worry, I mean might as well tell me not to breathe. I have noticed of late my muscles hurt and at times feel stiff. I work in a hotel, I'm on my feet and moving around lifting things alot.

I just dont know if I should he concerned of Als given these symptoms. I just dont feel like myself anymore. I feel weaker, and in pain. I hate to be a bother to those of you who have als it's not my intention to minimize the illness in any way. I'm just, alone and really scared. Recently I've had ct scans at the hospital that showed nothing and typical bloodwork. I'm just really scared, that's all there is to it and I am unable to relax. I know the diagnosis of Als takes a long time but I just want to know if this sounds at all like it could be. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much and God bless you all.

Mod note- merged threads. Rich, please keep posting on your original thread. It helps keep all your information in one place and is easier for folks to access.

With regards to your reported symptoms, please make sure to read the https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html post. It covers all the symptoms you are reporting- which don't fit into the expected constellation of symptoms that indicates ALS. Not sure what you have going on, but ALS is not it.

This forum is not the place to work out anxiety. In fact, it can increase it if you have health anxiety. It's recommended you see a therapist or counselor to help you with stress coping skills while you look for answers.

So i had an mri done today. Waiting to get those results. I have continues to experience pain in my wrists and into my elbow and lower bicep. Both arms are experiencing the pain but my left arm definitely feels weaker than it use to. I have an emg scheduled for the end of this month. Wish it was sooner but it is what it is. Yes im aware im stressed about it but considering im new to all these symptoms, yes im fairly concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back