Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Wi
City
Madison
Today has been a rough day, the last 2 days he has only been able to want 1.5 cans of milk. That's only 12 oz all day. He refuses any more. He has been coughing a lot today, refuses couch assist. He has mostly slept all day to the point where I would stare at him making sure he is breathing. He seems uncomfortable today, can't do a straw anymore but wanted a sip of his soda. I used a syringe and do it that way. I had things to do today, but felt I couldn't leave him, so I cancelled all my plans and only went on super short runs to store, take and p/u my daughter from a bday party. I felt something was going to happen if I left him for more than 20 mins. Tonight he is agitated, but with all the meds, and morphine you think he's be sleeping. But no he's asking for things and yet I don't understand him. Words aren't words, so I guess and go down my list of things I think he may want. I'm tired, I need sleep, but tired in general of this disease and all that comes with it. I'm not sure how long we have. His feet are always cold and blue (have been for months) hands randomly turn cold then warm later. Urine is dark, little output and I saw like chunky cloudy stuff in the tubing?? Now what.

You can titrate his medications.
Palliative care is comfort care. It works best if you can prevent him reaching peaks of discomfort. So you may need to give a little more, or give the meds a little closer together. If you let any pain, discomfort or agitation build, it then takes even more meds to get past that peak than it takes to slowly titrate and keep him comfortable.

The amount or frequency of meds that worked yesterday won't necessarily be the same today.

I wish you both peace xx

Tracy, my Pals feet get swollen and sometimes blue. This has been going on for a while now. I heat up a " heat bag" in microwave and put under his feet . I elevate his feet on two cushions as well. The heat bag is a material bag about A4 size that has wheat inside. They make great gentle heaters! It has been explained to me that when the muscle wastes away , it can no longer pump the blood back up to the heart.thus, swollen legs, blue feet etc are a result of this. We also wear pressure socks now. I hope that my amateur medical knowledge helps you care for your pals?

Even when Chris was still walking a little his feet would be blue, particularly around the ankles.

Elevation and massage are wonderful, and combined with heat, all help to keep the venous blood moving towards the heart lungs to hopefully get some of that CO2 back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back