Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
For your viewing pleasure, I added a photo from my fun filled session last night. It is at the beginning of my lip atrophy album, as didn't seem worthy of getting its own album. :)

Its a true glamor shot, no makeup and lots of patches, wires, and spiffy CPAP headgear. (More notes about the process are under the photo.)

What happens during the study is one tries to sleep, all the while being monitored by camera, microphone, and various EEG , EMG, and other attachments.

The technician had to come in twice after I was sleeping to increase the air flow of the CPAP machine.... My doctors are still undecided as to whether I need CPAP or BiPAP at this stage, as the majority of my known breathing problems stem from soft palate weakness, rather than weakness of the respiratory muscles.

In the beginning of the night I slept relatively well, but as the air flow was increased, it became more difficult as the "wind" kept blowing my mouth open. I've been advised that I will adjust to this, and it will take a couple of weeks.

My biggest problem to overcome last night was the sense that it was harder to exhale, and as this is my main difficulty anyway, I'm not sure what that really means. Of course I've not heard back yet from any of my doctors that have requested the study.

Right now you can just go to my profile page to access the album. I will add the link to this thread, just wanted to go ahead and get this posted as it may take a while for the link to show up due to the moderators needing to clear it.

A word to those that know they will need to a sleep study: Bring something to keep by the bedside to drink if you usually have it at home. I did bring water this time, but previously did not know to, and even though the room is more like a hotel room than a hospital room, there are no amenities such as bottled water, shampoos, etc.

take care, :smile:

Rose you look like an alien, but I do perceive a smile happening under all that head gear <g>.
Laurel

Yes Laurel, an alien or possibly a muppet such as Miss Piggy! The mask did weird things to the shape of my nose that I was not so thrilled about.

I thought to post this because many people end up needing sleep studies for various reasons, whether or not they've got MND, etc.

take care, :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back