If you've had more than on EMG, how long between each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustTrying

Distinguished member
Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ma
City
xyz
I had mine on June 6th and scheduled for a second mid October. I was okay waiting but my symptoms are worsening, including breathing. I know a month may not seem like a lot but boy have I progressed in a month.
I'm wondering if I should bump it up.

How long did you go between EMGs?

My neuromuscular spec refused to do another one after one year even though I had hoped he would. He said it wasn't necessary.

It will be 18 months since my last one. I have one scheduled in oct but only because my feet have lost more sensation. Otherwise I don't think he would have done another one. This will be my fourth one in 6 1/2 years.

Mine seem to be scheduled once a year. My third one will be in September.

One was enough for me! Graciously declined the request for another.

Can someone explain why people are having so many EMG's done?
I thought a clean EMG meant no ALS, even if you had the test before symptoms started?
Are they looking for other diseases with these continued EMG's?

This is what keeps the fear of ALS in myself and I'm assuming many others.
Does a clean EMG rule out ALS or does it not?

The frustrating thing is all the different opinions.

Mine wasn't clean, but they only found something in my right leg.

I'm having a repeat because this time I am being seen by an ALS clinic neuro. And he pointed out that my 1st EMG dirty spot was an area that lead away from just pinched nerve. Coupled with my symptoms, a repeat EMG was his suggestion.
But he wanted time to pass between the two.

Can someone explain why people are having so many EMG's done?
I thought a clean EMG meant no ALS, even if you had the test before symptoms started?
Are they looking for other diseases with these continued EMG's?

This is what keeps the fear of ALS in myself and I'm assuming many others.
Does a clean EMG rule out ALS or does it not?

The frustrating thing is all the different opinions.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, generally, a clean EMG = no ALS. Conversely, abnormal results do not always equal ALS. Other symptoms must also be observed to confirm an ALS diagnosis.

I don't know for sure, but it would seem EMG tests are repeated ( some at regular intervals such as yearly) on those diagnosed with PLS or other neurological ailments, herniated discs or pinched nerves. Or if the first test is inconclusive. Or for a second opinion - many neuros prefer to do their own testing... Or to measure progression.

In my own case, it was suggested I have a second EMG to corroborate the results of the first one. Was it absolutely necessary? No. So I declined.

Thanks. My EMG was not normal as it showed something on my right leg as well. But someone here told me it was not indicative at all of ALS.

The summary was:
In summary, this EMG/NCV study is remarkable for mild neuropathic changes suggesting a very mild diffuse polyneuropathy. Otherwise, the study was within normal limits and there is no evidence of anterior horn cell disease, radiculopathy, or myopathic process.

If this were you....would you have another EMG?

They didn't use the words "clean" or "dirty"...I guess that is what is confusing to me.
Do any of those terms mean ALS? Is it a myopathic disease or anterior horn cell disease?
If it is one of those types of diseases....I guess I am good!

If it isn't...what do they call an ALS type disease. Would my summary have stated "No evidence of muscle disease" or something like that?
Just knowing how it is defined would help me A LOT.

Danielson, anterior horn cell disease is ALS. Your EMG showed no evidence of anterior horn cell disease. That is a blessing!
I do hope you find out what is causing your problems, but it looks like you can cross ALS off the list.

That is awesome. I did not know exactly which term was related to ALS. Just that one little miscommunication is HUGE.
The neurologist I see does not have a conversation with me. He just says what he has to and moves on.
I will rest easier now.
Thank you!

I am glad that I could help. Spinal motor neurons are also called anterior horn cells. Your EMG results show that your motor neurons/anterior horn cells have not been affected. I do not understand why some doctors do not explain these very important results to patients.

It would have been such a relief if the doctor had told me that back in June!
I think they lose compassion after many years of practicing and they do not realize that people worry about things like muscle diseases when the doctor uses a term like ALS or MS and then doesn't "dumb it down" so we can understand the terminology. I thought since the summary did not say "no evidence of MND" that it meant it was still a possibility.

This is exactly why this forum is s needed. Real people talking to real people in common terms.
Thank you!

That is one of the biggest problems is that there is no test to give an ALS diagnosis.

The neuro has to test to see if a persons nerves and muscles are normal but the motor neurons are dieing so the brain cannot tell that muscle to do the normal things like lifting your foot all the way or stepping off a curb. Most are not going to get a diagnosis early, but will take several visits.

As Elaine said each neuro will want to do their own EMG/NCV as interpreting the results seems to be an art in itself. I don't know but sticking in needles trying to get it in the right spot and having the muscle at the right tension then measuring the velocity of the electric shock seems kind of archaic to me.

From what I've read an EMG can detect ALS signs even before symptoms start. I just did not get a concise definition of the terms used in my EMG. I thought the results should state "No MND". It does state "no evidence of anterior horn cell disease" which I guess is the medical terminology for no ALS.
So while I do hae something wrong with the nerves in my leg, it is not related to ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back