Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the long response momap53! And Helen. You guys have definitely given me something to think about. However, I'm not sure I would trust any medical opinion I get here. I love living here, and I'm not trying to be culturally imperialistic, but my opinion of the health care profession here is not that strong. Take my fall, the one that happened in Feb 2011. I went to the hospital to get an xray to see if the ankle was broken, and there was blood on the metal table they asked me to get on! A lot of it! Granted, it was dry, but it was so blood. I pointed it out to the technician and his response was, "Mei guanxi!" Don't worry about it! No problem. It's nothing.

Really? This is who I'm supposed to put trust in? :)

Cheers.

It took them 3 years with my slow progression. The diagnostic criteria are basically: eliminate everything else, clinical weakness, muscles atrophy, brisk reflexes, and some other criteria. My fab neuro had all but the dirty EMG in 2009, bit not definitive until 9/2011. This is a deductive diagnosis and a hard one to make,as you can tell from the other posts.

Good luck!

It took them 3 years with my slow progression. The diagnostic criteria are basically: eliminate everything else, clinical weakness, muscles atrophy, brisk reflexes, and some other criteria. My fab neuro had all but the dirty EMG in 2009, bit not definitive until 9/2011. This is a deductive diagnosis and a hard one to make,as you can tell from the other posts.

Good luck!

Hello hjlindley,

What were your symptoms (onset) 3 years ago?

All the best for you,

GKGK

Started with weakness in the dominant hand..couldn't open a bottle of water or do buttons. Then about a year later my walk got clumsy. My hand is wasted, and I started the twitches about 8 months before the final diagnosis. Also, I am being treated at an ALS center that is part of a big teaching hospital. I also had positive Hoffman's and Babinski's. But weakness and the only pain was,and still is, muscle spasms.

And I never had a positive Hoffman's or Babinski... so it's all different

The fact you are having a problem deciding with your health or buying a computer is disturbing to me

Patricia1 - your intent in posting that comment is what - to attack? So many people log on here and give lists of supposed symptoms that could be attributed to anything but they assume it's ALS. People here recognize their irrational line of fear and tell them so. I don't want to be one of those irrational, assuming types.

So I fell down in Feb. Big deal. Doesn't mean I have ALS. So I twitch - as so many of you post, twitching comes after muscle loss, at the end of the disease. Surely I would have noticed something before I started twitching. I didn't. I twitch all over. It's not localized. Doesn't sound like ALS to me. So I get tired after a bike ride. I'm out of shape. Doesn't mean I have ALS. So my ankles are weak - maybe they were weak before and I never noticed. Doesn't mean I have ALS. So my voice sounds strange lately - maybe I have a chest cold.

None of these things means I should freak out and live every day in fear. Plopping down thousands of dollars I don't have based on a list of "symptoms" that Dr. Google gave me to fly across the globe is disturbing to me. I would much rather use the money responsibly for something that will make my professional life much easier. However, I came here anyway to get a second opinion. People here have posted helpful information that has swayed me to go ahead and go to America and be tested. Their comments were helpful.

Yours was not - it was judgemental and not helpful at all. But I supposed if it made you feel better to post it, then I have no objection. I did ask to be mocked in my initial post. :)

Patricia1 - It got lost in moderation, but i just wrote a rant in response to your reply. It helped, though. In defending myself I came to realize how silly my list of symptoms sounds. I'm just being silly. So I will not be going to the doctor. My post may offend you, but yours offended me. All's well that end's well, though. Writing it helped give me peace of mind. Cheers!

Chopsticks, I hope your rant toward Patricia never shows up. What she posted was in no way offensive.
Think about it......just for a minute. Then apologize.....profusely.

Chopstick, if your really thought your symptoms were 'silly", then you wouldn't have wasted your time writing that post, and our time answering it. Remember, some of us PALS don't exactly move that well, and that includes typing. So if you're asking for advice, listen to it, and decide what to do. "Ranting" at someone who has an opinion? Not so nice when we've taken time out of our day, and given you advice THAT YOU ASKED FOR. Be gracious, go see a doc and figure out what's going on, 'cause ignoring it isn't going to make it go away, and finding out MAY give you peace of mind.

Chopstick. In my opinion you would be a fool to either embark or abandon a trip to the US to obtain health care based on opinions about your health solicited and offered here. Fitzroy has offered some great advice based on knowledge about the healthcare available in China. I'd suggest you follow up on it.

Patricia1 - It got lost in moderation, but i just wrote a rant in response to your reply. It helped, though. In defending myself I came to realize how silly my list of symptoms sounds. I'm just being silly. So I will not be going to the doctor. My post may offend you, but yours offended me. All's well that end's well, though. Writing it helped give me peace of mind. Cheers!

Your post didn't offend me .It was disturbing to me .Your health should come first :roll:

I just want to point out that Chopsticks mo dera ted post had NOT appeared before I offered my opinion, in my last post, about basing travel decision on information gathered here.

Chopstick,

I'm coming in on this at the tail end. May I ask you a que stion? Are you a stud ent in an exch ange prog ram? Or are you emp loyed by a com pany that outsou rced? I ask these for one reason. Either stu dent or emplo yee, there should be a prot ocol in place when it pert ains to he alth. We hosted num erous excha nge stude nts over the years, and the comp any that prov id ed the service had sa fegua rds in place for each stu dent in every reg ion of every state. So, having said that, is it possi ble for you to contact someone in cha rge of whatever brought you to Chi na in the first place? They may be able to di rect you on the right path.

The other op tions would be to take a short trip to the US Em bassy or Con sul ate? I do know that one of the closest mil itary bases is in Aus tralia. Try the other 2 and see if they have a GP on staff. It can't hurt. Please don't put off som ething that may be easily tre ated. And no joke, this is what I call spe aking bro ken eng lish.

Good luckand keep us posted,

I'd visited a clinic that deals TCM , maybe damo-qigong dot net !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back